Crosss along the roads!

LubeDude

Admiral
Maybe this has been addressed before, but I dont remember it.<br /><br />Whats with people putty crosss where people were killed along roads? I would never do such a thing, and think its silly. (Downright disrespectfull) IMHO, I mean, they are not there anymore, (The deceased), they are in a cemetary somewhere. I mean I have seen some so big they become a memorial. I wouldnt want the constant reminder that someone I new died there everytime I drove by.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Crosss along the roads!

When I was in the army (20 years ago) a Puerto Rican guy in my unit said the practice began in Puerto Rico. He said it all started on a road on the side of a mountain that was really dangerous, and lots of people got killed there every year, and people started putting up memorials for two reasons, one was to remember their deceased loved ones, the other was to draw attention to the road so the government would do something to make it safer. I don't know if it is true, but he believed it was.

NYMINUTE

Captain

They are not illegal in Indiana, but also not illegal to remove them. Funny thing I saw was a Yard Sale sign stapled to one.

oddjob

Commander

I see it alot down here....it doesnt bother me. It reminds me to drive safe .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. What oddjob said.

dolluper

Captain

It does make you think about how you are driving when you see one

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lot's of times, it's not even local people that put's them up.<br />It will be relatives of someone that was passing thru that will put them up and come back ever year to replace them with new.

ZmOz

Captain

One recently showed up where I wrecked my truck last year...apparently I'm not the only one. Makes me want to go find what city a$$hole thinks it's too expensive to paint some lines and put up some signs on a dangerous corner. :rolleyes:

D

DJ

It's Hispanic/Catholic tradition to memorialize the site of a persons soul passing.<br /><br />I, personally, have no problem with them. However, they are distracting to the otherwise unattentive driver.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No disrespect to you folks of faith, but it's simply litter, and ought to be dealth with as such.......

D

DJ

Faith has NOTHING to do with it. They're tradition and dogma.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live along Rt. 37 here in the middle of Ohio and the two-lane road is known (only by the locals, it seems) to be dangerous and there are three roadside crosses between here and Sunbury, about eight miles. I have zero problem with them like some others here and it serves as a reminder to be careful when you drive.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the Oil Doc would be important because...

Twidget

Commander

I dont have any problem with them. <br /><br />After a while they should be taken down though. They turn into the litter that Snapperbait is talking about.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Something you'll learn with 'speriance Eric. Its a joke. Everybody seems to have there panties in a was today. Usually this gang is about as easy going as it goes. Today its crosses, decals, etc that is getting under evrybodies skin and I don't understand why. LD is a great guy and it was my way of saying lighten up. He knows that, and that is what is important.

JRJ

Commander

Very few are well done. Most are really just litter IMO.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I don't have a prolbem with it at all, if thats your biggest concern, lifes good.<br /><br />A local kid got killed last week, I posted about it when it happend. The spot where it happend has candels,cds,favorit foods,favorit soda,books,pictures and all kinds of stuff for a few days, after the funeral all the stuff is now gone, with just a wooden cross remaining. <br /><br />I actually watched the police calm and take home the dead kids best friend, who had been sitting at the pole all night, and threw the next day, I'd like to see someone tell that kid that it was just "litter"