Crossflow/Looper

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
What a great site! I've been visiting for quite awhile and have learned alot from y'all. My question is....can you tell a crossflow from a looper just by looking at the engine? I just bought a 89 or 90 Johnson 150 and was wondering which it is. Thanks in advance.<br />KingFisher5

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crossflow/Looper

On a crossflow, the pistons have deflector domes on the top.<br />On a "looper" the pistons are flat on top. <br />( they can have a very slight round dome also )<br /><br />Your engine is a crossflow.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just by looking you can tell because on V4 & V6 crossflows there are by-pass covers (intake passage), covers on the exhaust side and water jacket covers on the heads. On V4 & V6 loopers there are no removable by-pass, exhaust covers or water jacket covers on the heads. <br /><br />Crossflows have lots of bolts and covers. Loopers have very few.

angus63

Captain

If the tilt/trim switch is on the port side, it's a looper. If it's on the stbd, it's a crossflow. I'm pretty sure that covers all of em.

Walker

Captain

The T&T switch is on the starboard side of my 94 120 looper.

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Which T&T switch are you speaking of? I have a 150 and a 175 looper and two 115 crossflows and the T&T switch is in the same place on all four motors.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

if you really want to be shure you got a looper take the heads of and if your piston dome is flat<br />you have a looper.<br /><br />haha or your crosflow doesnt have enough clearance with the head.<br />haha<br /><br />reeldutch

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

look on the heads. if there is a thin casting with many 7/16ths headed bolts its a cross flow. if there are only the 4 bolts that hold the t-stat housing to the head its a looer. dont confuse the head bolts for cover bolts. also look at the side of the block. if you see three covers on each side held on by 8 bolts its a cross flow. if its smooth from crankcase to head its a looper