Crossflow 115 BIG issue

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Myself I would not put a sleeve in that.-----There are many used blocks available if you look for one.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Finding a complete used 115 in good condition would likely be cheaper than sleeving and rebuilding you old powerhead

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is the turbo jet powerhead.----Might be a slight , very slight difference.----Block part # between turbo jet and outboard is different.------Could be as simple as a different threaded hole.-----No thread in a hole ----Porting and that does give it a different part #

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to find somebody that can compare the outboard block to the turbojet block.----Then perhaps see what minor work needs to be done to make them the same !!

Fisher29

Seaman Apprentice
Alrighty, Well its been almost 2 months now, ended up going the sleeve route, ended up taking to the orillia shop and they said 2-3 weeks (2 months ago lol), now they keep telling me next week every week so im starting to loose my patience here. Once I get it back anything special I should know about re assembly. I got Locktite 518 for the crank halves and the locktite activator/primer aswell. In regards to spark plugs and carb jet size anything different I need to do? Also after they put the sleeve in they shouldnt be boring out the other cyl's right, just a hone, because with a new sleeve it should be std sizing, correct me if im wrong but.........

Fisher29

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I'm aware, but if you read I'm asking why they're gonna bore out the other cylinders if the new sleeve is std size. shouldn't they just have to Hone them?

I'm putting in 4 new pistons and rings.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ask them.----I do my own boring and honing.----Just finished a rebuild job ( 4 new pistons ) for a busy shop.-----Was given a " thank you " and a bonus !-----I can not comment on other shop's procedures !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
About 3 hrs west of GTA.-----And my time for this summer is all spoken for.

Fisher29

Seaman Apprentice
OK understandable, the place in orillia I took mine too didnt do the re sleeve, they sent it to some other shop and now it's in their hands, apparently a good friend of the owner heiths. So still waiting.

is the loctite 518 i got for the case halves the right stuff to use?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Sleeve will likely need to be bored, even for a Standard size Piston. You can have oversize and standard size in the same engine All the sizes, weigh much the same, so the engine's balance won't be thrown off.

Fisher29

Seaman Apprentice
How do I set the timing when putting back together? Want it to be atlest close while doing break in so I can set it properly at wot after break in.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What Procedure does your Service Manual have? If you are putting that Engine together without the proper Service Manual, setting the Timing will be your least of your problems.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some of those manuals belong in the little house with the 1/4 moon in the door.----Use it 2 or 3 pages at a time.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Not even good for that, risk of a Paper Cut is high, and most of us don't want any cutting going on in that area