Crossbar thoughts

crookedmullet

Seaman
I'd like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to fixing trailers, but I need an opinion on something. I went to replace the springs, hubs, bearings all that stuff on my trailer this weekend. Upon further inspection, I saw something that I really didn't like. My crossbars will not last much longer, they are pretty rusted out on the bottom side. It's a galvanized trailer and the crossbars are welded on. My 17' boat sits on the trailer and it's not that heavy. I came across some galv. 3x3x72 pieces at the metal shop in town, is it ok to bolt them on the frame and then put u-bolts around them or do I have to get them welded back on. I wouldn't seem a problem with just bolting them on because I see it on all the aluminum trailers, am I right thinking that? I also noticed, of all the galv. trailers that I've looked at, all connections are welded, I would think it's easier to welded all the parts together and then to dip the trailer, right? Thanks for the help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crossbar thoughts

An additional option that would eliminate the dipping process would be to use the material you located, weld a plate to each end, drill four holes in each plate and then bolt those to the frame rails after you cut the existing cross-bars off. Use an air or electric right angle grinder to cut the welds. Grind the area smooth and bolt in the new pieces. Coat the area with bed-liner coating.

crookedmullet

Seaman

I wanted to try and eliminate any welding I have to do, but that is a great idea, and structurally it would be very strong. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you cut the plates and measured and cut the cross members, any welding shop in town could weld those plates for a very modest fee. It also makes for a far sturdier repair than using "U" bolts.

crookedmullet

Seaman

I've thought about all the ways I could do this repair, and your idea is the best by far. With all the saltwater the trailer comes in contact with, you actually are sealing the tube to the elements which will prolong the life of the trailer. Another question though, it is cheaper to buy a steel tube. If I did that, what can I use to seal the metal? I've used the spray-on galvanize stuff before and it's alright for spot repair, but for 6' of metal, I'd like to use something more solid, any ideas? <br />Thanks upinsmoke

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Steel tube is certainly acceptable if properly coated. I would strongly suggest using the pickup roll-on or spray on bed liner material. My brother in law used this stuff to seal the step bars on his SUV that had continually shed its black paint and began to rust. He finally removed them, had them sand blasted and then coated with the bed liner material. No problem since. As for the plates, inquire at the place you buy the tube, or at the welding shop. Fabricators very often have a couple of pieces (round, square, or rectangular) that might work and be nearly free.

bdirect

Seaman

I find it interesting that more and more new trailers are being produced without welds. Even some heavy capacity ones are built using u-bolts to connect frames and cross members

crookedmullet

Seaman

Great forum, I've purchased the tube's and the plates are getting welded on today. Hopefully will have a solid trailer come Monday. Thanks for all the help