Cross reference mercruiser V belt part# to auto parts store?

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
want to replace both V belts on the mercruiser 5.7 350. i have both belts off they look and feel fine but would like to replace with new.

i have both part#s and there are no other numbers on them. when I went to Oreilys, Autozone, napa, none of them could find a matching belt for them.

when I searched google, i saw that many people were finding good luck at Napa but that wasnt the case for me.

if i search the part#, all i get are quicksilver/mercruiser/sierra options but no automotive equivalent.

57-816295 DF 2:L:15:12
57-48120 DF 2:L:8:7

didnt think it would be that hard to find equivalent belts at the auto parts store. I dont really want to cut my belt to take a length measurements as i would love to keep them as spares on the boat.

Attachments

• PXL_20210627_000251191.jpg
    PXL_20210627_000251191.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I dont really want to cut my belt to take a length measurements
you don't have to, pretty easy to measure a belt. just use a tape measure, mark the belt in one spot and measure "around" it. hold the tape against the belt as you go around the belt to the mark

note the measurement and ask for a v-belt close to the measurement. if no exact belt comes up buy two, one the next length shorter and one the next length longer. return the one that does not fit/work

better yet, bring the belts and hold them next to a new one, pretty easy to find one that will work. forget cross referencing part #'s, most automotive stores don't/can't/won't cross reference to an oem marine manufacturer

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Take your old belts to the store, they have a belt measure tool

The tool is basically a yardstick with fixed pulley on one end and movable pulley on the other. Haven't seen one in years, but they must still be around.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to vet your parts guy. Walk in to any FLAPS ( Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and ask for valve cover gaskets for an SBC. If the guy/gal asks for year/make/model, walk out and shop elsewhere. If he/she asks perimeter or center, then buy parts from them.

Bondo

Staff member
want to replace both V belts on the mercruiser 5.7 350. i have both belts off they look and feel fine but would like to replace with new.

when I searched google, i saw that many people were finding good luck at Napa but that wasnt the case for me.

didnt think it would be that hard to find equivalent belts at the auto parts store. I dont really want to cut my belt to take a length measurements as i would love to keep them as spares on the boat.
Ayuh,..... Have 'em look the belts up under their Sierra catalog, by vintage, or serial number,.....

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would just purchase Mercruiser replacements from my local boat mechanic.
He is a good guy and I like to throw him some business now and then.

tpenfield

Staff member
I just went through this with the V-belts on my Merc's . . .

You have to go to the right sort of auto parts store where the clerk will actually use an existing belt to find an equivalent belt. If you have a clerk/sales person that can only look up part numbers, then you may not get anywhere.

Alternatively, as mentioned, you can measure the length of the belt.

I have found that the belts match up fairly well to 15XXX series belts, where the XXX is the belt length in tenths of an inch. You can also be +/- an inch and still be able to adjust the accessory (alternator, pump, idler, etc) for a snug fit.

I think you might find that:
The 57-816295 belt is about 52-53" and would match up to a 15525 or 15530 automotive belt

The 57-48120 belt is about 46-47" and would match up to a 15460 or 15470 automotive belt.

NAPA seems to have more direct cross references on their web site, and those belts are the pricier versions of the 15XXX series belts. Not sure there is a huge performance difference :unsure:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or there is the Gates cross references.

the 57-816295 belt is a gates 7525
the 57-48120 belt is a gates 7460

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
or there is the Gates cross references.

the 57-816295 belt is a gates 7525
the 57-48120 belt is a gates 7460
this is exactly what i needed thank you! i knew there had to be something out there that cross referenced the mercury part#.

just found them on amazon and placed the orders for both.

Gates 7525 XL High Capacity V-Belt
Gates 7460 XL High Capacity V-Belt

both about $15 each.