Create storage in Hurricane 217 Sd

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
Does anybody know why the new hurricane 217 sundeck has no storage in the drivers and passengers consoles? Also, has anybody tried to open that console and use it for storage? I would like to come up with a creative solution to access what seems to be a rather large space in both consoles!

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
13868E9B-5EF4-4B1C-9464-5901C00702DB.jpeg
This boat has everything going for it except that it has no storage in the Drivers and passengers consoles! Anyone cut into those?

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . . :D

I don't see any consoles . . . :unsure:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
call your Hurricane dealer and ask

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
I unfortunately have the boat stored right now but as soon as I whip the covers off I will get some pictures. I had an older hurricane to 26REF and it had doors on the sides of the consoles where you could store stuff. This new boat just has padded panels Attached to the sides of the consoles where you walk through the windshield. Looks like there is a lot of valuable space under those two consoles

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
The dealer looked at me like I had six heads when I asked about cutting into the side of the consoles! He said he could not recommend me cutting holes into a brand new boat!

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
Here are some pictures of my boat from the web. The sides of the consuls have a padded panel just for decoration. I think I could get those panels off and open up behind them. I would then use the padded panel as a cover. Any thoughts?2682A2F0-BE9E-4E9D-A4E0-00B62E381810.jpegD408535D-9762-4D4F-B10A-ABF83147C0BD.jpegE32611EE-582F-4422-9D1A-470582BCBDA5.jpeg

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
Here are some pictures of my boat from the web. The sides of the consuls have a padded panel just for decoration. I think I could get those panels off and open up behind them. I would then use the padded panel as a cover. Any thoughts?View attachment 355340
d408535d-9762-4d4f-b10a-abf83147c0bd-jpeg.355341

briangcc

Commander
Some manufacturers have the seat backs in the bow (right up against the windshield) on hinges to access the additional space in the consoles. Have you checked to see if your Hurricane is setup that way?

Depending on configuration, that might be the easiest way to access the space in the consoles - add a hinge/latch to those seat backs.

tpenfield

Staff member
My thoughts . . .

1) Check with Hurricane on what may be inside those consoles and how they might contribute to the rigidity of the cockpit.

2) Assuming no big issues with #1, you could decide on access (from rear of consoles.
HurricaneSD217-B.png
or
From the side . . .
HurricaneSD217.png
3) You could cut an opening the size of a pre-made hatch and install the hatches. I would not cut near the edges of the consoles (leave a few inches around all sides of the hatch), as cutting too close to the edge will impact the rigidity of the consoles.

Not sure if you would need to finish off the inside of the consoles with a base of some sort. You'll know if you get that far.

Just my thoughts, assuming the folks at Hurricane have no structural concerns. Expect to void your warranty.

Dana Kitchen

Cadet
Thank you both for some very insightful ideas! That definitely gives me food for thought. I will re-post with any updates! Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the cup holder and then use either a mirror or a bore scope and look. You may find room to add storage, or you may find that the area has structure, or flotation foam or something else