Lieutenant Junior Grade
Probably the lower pivot, number 31.

Attachments

• Pivot Housing.jpg
    Pivot Housing.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 4

Rathdrum

Cadet
Thank you for the reply. That might be a good place to start. I was planning on rebuilding the upper and lower pivot points just to be on the up and up. And of course clean up the corrosion and paint. I was curious as to if anyone has tackled this and if there are any special tools needed.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Does it do this with the engine fired up and power steering active

Rathdrum

Cadet
Yes it does and to rule out the steering actuator I disconnected the pin on the steering arm and no noise when moving the wheel. It's definitely coming from the drive pivot points. Going to get a stethoscope and see if I can pinpoint the upper or the lower.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Spray some water at the lower pivot, it might just stop. My concern would be to check for play by lifting the leg, there is a flat plastic washer about 2 inch diameter which controls the vertical play.
To remove the lower pivot is very easy and no special tools needed.

Rathdrum

Cadet
After using the stethoscope, the noise definitely comes from the top pivot. I guess this is my opportunity to pull the drive and take care of this noise as well as all the paint that is flaking off and any other issues I run across. The previous owner had the bellows, u-joints, and gimbal bearing done in May of 22. It will be a nice winter project for sure.
Thank you all for your help, Jeff