crayfish traps

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live on a lake andI know [from the otter scat] there are plenty of crayfish in there.I have never seen anybody taking them, anybody make their own traps?I am getting good rainbow fishing and would like to use the by products[ heads & guts]to see if they would make good crayfish bait.When I was a kid we'd find really big ones in the creeks.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: crayfish traps

ratherbefishin, I don't know if this will help but here is a little info.<br /><br />---------<br />Day or night, a more effective way of gathering crawfish is to toss out a piece of fish or other meat on a string, leave it a while, then slowly draw it to the surface. One to several crawdads will usually be clinging to the bait and are easily caught by slipping a long-handled net under them. With this method you can "pot-shot" individual crawfish you've spotted as effectively as you can "fish blind" in deeper water.<br /><br />Commercial crawfishermen usually employ traps of one kind or another. You can either make or buy crawdad traps, and you'll need several if you want to gather lots of mudbugs in a hurry. One trap form is a cylinder or cube of ¼" wire mesh with a screen "funnel" leading into the interior, which is baited with a fish head or other meat scrap. As long as the crawfish can't get at the food directly through the screen, he keeps poking around till he finds the funnel, crawls through, and then can't find his way out again. Such traps are simply lowered into deep water, buoy-marked, and picked up after an hour or so.<br /><br />Another crawdad trap is a small version of the popular "crab rings" used in the ocean. This trap consists of a wire mesh or cloth net strung on a rigid square or circular metal frame a foot or two across. Folding or collapsing sides a few inches high are tied to a line which leads to the surface. The trap is baited in its center, lowered to the bottom, buoy-marked, and retrieved later by the attached line. Since crab-ring traps aren't enclosed as are funnel traps, it's important to haul up pretty fast so crawdads won't have time to crawl or swim over the sides. Euell Gibbons, the late wildfoods forager extraordinaire, agrees freshwater crawfish are an unsurpassed inland delicacy. He caught hundreds of mudbugs for his own table wherever he traveled and for a time was a commercial crawfisher here in the Northwest. He used about a dozen of the crab-ring traps described above and regularly took 20 to 50 crawdads per haul. He claims 1000 crawfish per day wasn't uncommon, and his commercial success was limited only by a lack of market for his tiny delicacies.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

whats the best time of year for catching crayfish?AsI said-I haven't seen anybody on the lake fishing for them- but I know they are there

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made my own trap and it works great. Only problem was that the only crawfish it would trap are hardshells. I fish with sofshells (best live bait) and have to catch them by hand/net.<br /> Go out at night with flashlight to find out how many craws you may have around your area. A good spot will be carpeted with them. Rocky moving water will be prime area, especially below a dam.<br /> Hardshells will work, especially the small ones, 1/2" to 1 1/2". But softies of any size will catch at least 10 times more fish and more variety.<br /> I made my trap out of wire mesh, similiar to ones you see in cabelas cat. Use 1/8th" size mesh.

vista4u2

Seaman Apprentice

A good crayfish trap is this: Get a typical 1 gallon pickle jar, paint it black. Put a decent size rock in it. Get a small olive type jar, put a turned on pen light in it, light facing the glass bottom. Put this in the pickle jar, light pointing to the lid. Now, cut an X into the pickle jar lid, and bend them inward to where there is an opening large enough for a crayfish to crawl through, but too small for them to figure out how to crawl out. bait the jar with something stinky, set it in a weedy area. It will stay down because of the rock. the light/stink bait will attract the buggers. Check it in the morning. You'll get plenty of crayfish this way!

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I checked my crayfish traps- and one had the end ripped out- looks like an otter decided to get an easy meal