Crawdads/Crayfish

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice
This is worth a try.* I purchased a minnow trap, tubular with entry holes at both ends.* I enlarged the holes a little to about 2 inches. Took a can of dog or cat food and punched holes in it. With a good line attached to the trap I threw it out in the river. After about 4 to 8 hours I retrieved it and it was full of crayfish. This was in the Feather River in Northern California. The crayfish were good sized. The tail meat size was about thumb size and these crayfish had good sized main claws. Steamed they are like mini-Maine Lobsters. I was able to get several trap fulls by moving the trap around.

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Crawdads/Crayfish

FYI: They're not crayfish or crawdads, they're crawfish. Louisiana's cajun culture revolves around them.

jcsercsa

Captain

We sell them for 5.99 lbs , and of coarse they come from china !!!! John

CATransplant

Admiral

Yum, yum!
Send me some!

Whatever you call 'em, there's nothing nicer than a bunch of 'em cooked up nice. Eat the tails and suck the heads. Put em in a gumbo. Do whatever you like, but eat 'em up!

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice

Kids would like catching crawdads/crayfish/crawfish if you can keep the kids away from the trap for any length of time. Enough time for the trap to fill.
I've tried this in different locations and have found different verieties of crayfish(Crayfish in the webster dictionary with a picture). Some are a little larger then others. Some have larger claws looking like a baby Maine Lobster and some have long thin and sharp main claws. I've never eat a bad one. The ones I caught in the Feather River in Northern California were just like baby lobsters with good meat in the claws.
Get the kids out fishing!