cranks everytime and turns off after 15 or 20 seconds. HELP!

uremailsux

Recruit
2006 volvo penta 305. engine cranks everytime but cuts off everytime after 15 to 20 seconds. I put a new edlebrock 4 barrel carb on it and $300 later i have the same problem. Is it the module at the distributer cutting out? like i said it cranks and runs everytime but only for 15 to 20 seconds. whats wrong? please help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cranks everytime and turns off after 15 or 20 seconds. HELP!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is yer electric fuel pump is runnin' off the starter circuit, but not off the ignition circuit,...

I donno how Volvo does it, Merc uses an oil pressure switch to pass power through...

uremailsux

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is yer electric fuel pump is runnin' off the starter circuit, but not off the ignition circuit,...

I donno how Volvo does it, Merc uses an oil pressure switch to pass power through...

My electric fuel pump is only 8 months old so im pretty sure its not that. for the 15 to 20 seconds that it runs my oil pressure gage reads good pressure.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Not shure but does it have a fuel pump relay? Mabe that's bad and quits each time.
Grub

uremailsux

Recruit

I see the wiring diagram now from the linked post. Thats very helpful. Gives a clearer picture.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

My electric fuel pump is only 8 months old so im pretty sure its not that. for the 15 to 20 seconds that it runs my oil pressure gage reads good pressure.

Bond-o was talking about the circuit, not the pump itself.

uremailsux

Recruit

The alternator is definately bad. Not charging the battery either. I went to Advanced auto parts today with the alternator in hand and thry couldnt find me the correct replacement in their system. Can i get this alternator from an auto parts store? Part # 3862612

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need a MARINE alternator, not automotive. The marine units are ignition protected so you don't blow yourself up should you get a fuel leak in the enclosed engine compartment.
If you aren't absolutely sure what can be used from the automotive side, either ask, or use marine rated parts and be safe.