FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a 1996 Mercruiser 4.3. I just replace starter and battery. Last time it ran was 2 months ago. I turn the key and the engine cranks but no start. Where do I go from here?
I have no spark, on a thunderbolt 5 ign. system, she ran for about 5 minutes then just quit. Guages flickered just before she died and I spent about $600 on new ECM & ignition coil and there is still no spark... Very frustrated. Any other guesses? The mercriuser manual troubleshooting indicates no probs w/ wiring, just either coil or ECM which are new?? Any help is appreciated.
I just pulled my boat out fired right up then quit. Would turn over but not start. Found the kill switch fitting loose a when I would turn the key my hand knocked it out of position. I need a new switch. I would check this very carefully. Are you getting the sensor beeps when you turn the key?
Yes, I even bypassed it by splicing out the switch. Do you know if it is normally open or normally closed? I tried it both ways. I also tried disconnecting the tach. (both at the tach and at the coil) I'm absolutely baffled. I did the flow chart to a tee and had correct voltage everywhere I should but no spark and no spark after ECU & Coil replacement.... Beating my head against the wall.
I finally got it. It was the trigger wheel pick up sensor under the distributor. Don't do what I did and spend $515 on ECU without knowing for sure. At least I'm running and ready for summer! Thanks for the help.