Craigslist ad posting issue.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Looking to post a "wanted" ad on CL.
Want to post it in several cities within driving distance, to get the extra exposure.

After I post the first ad, CL tells me the ad is similar to another ad, and won't let me post it.

Sometimes it will let me post the ad if I change a few words, or the title. Sometimes it won't.

I'm just trying to cover a 150 mile radius, not spam the entire country.

How do you guys get around this?

BonairII

Commander
Re: Craigslist ad posting issue.

You just have to be creative and change the wording(and title) of each ad. I post in 3-5 surrounding cities to me...I just change the wording.

i.e

1967 Johnson/Evinrude lower unit
'67 Evinrude/Johnson lower unit
1967 OMC lower unit

Make sure to change the wording in the ad itself. It's a pain to change the wording for each ad, but it's the only way to do it.

Also, place your "wanted" ad in the category that pertains to what you want(i.e "boats-by owner")....don't place it in the actual "Wanted" section of CL.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Thats kind of what I have been doing, but it takes so darn long.

I see some people are posting the exact same ad, in several cities, day after day.

Someone thinks its funny to flag at least one of them each day too.

Today, 1 got flagged.

2 were blocked by CL.

3 went thru and were listed, but got removed 3 hours later.

Ready to give up on CL.

BonairII

Commander

I get flagged every once in a awhile, but I'm convinced that lowballers flag an ad after their ridiculous offer is denied.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

The old standby trick is to go get yourself about a half dozen gmail, email addresses and open up a bunch of accounts in the different areas that you want to post your add. The drawback is that you have to monitor all those addresses for replys unless you forward them to another single account. It can get confusing and be a pain but it works.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The old standby trick is to go get yourself about a half dozen gmail, email addresses and open up a bunch of accounts in the different areas that you want to post your add. The drawback is that you have to monitor all those addresses for replys unless you forward them to another single account. It can get confusing and be a pain but it works.

Yep, that is the trick. No biggie on the responses though, just post your phone number and make it clear you will not be around to answer emails. I find telephone responses to be quicker and more effective, anyway. Another good suggestion is that when someone cries that this is just what they have been looking for but they cannot get there until there until their spouse (yada yada) gets home, never offer to hold it for them. You will never hear from then again and in the meantime you may have put off several other callers who might have been buyers.

Just tell them that they can call you just before they would be ready to leave and if you still have it you will hold it for XX # of minutes representing the amount of time that it would take for them to get to you. If you get another call while they are enroute, take a telephone number and tell them if the first caller does not show by 0:00 you will call them back.

Another little thing, people are less likely to try to bargain with you on the telephone. If they do and you have your item priced right, just tell them you would not consider any offers when the person has not even seen the item. Once they are in front of you, if they like the item and try to bargain with you, you will be much more able to gauge their interest and determine if you should accept it or reject it.

Hopes this all helps. Craigslist is a GREAT resource for selling. If you price it right, it will sell. Before Craigslist there was no practical way to sell large, unshippable items and hope to get anything reasonable for it. Newspaper classified ads were expensive and very ineffective.

EDIT: Oops, I just saw that it was a WANTED ad. Oh well the multiple emails suggestion still stands and you can tuck the rest of it away for when you need to sell something.

Also note that if you post your WANTED item in a particular FOR SALE category it is common to get it flagged. Even though that is the most effective place to put it, it is verboten! There is a separate WANTED section. I'd still do it though.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I do have 5 alias email accounts from Apple, that all forward to one mailbox, so I will try that first.

Phone calls don't work for me though.
I work odd hours, multiple shifts per week, and split shifts within the same day, and can't use a phone at work anyways.
For some reason, people just don't like getting return phone calls at 11:40 pm, or 5 am.
And people seem to tire of multiple rounds of phone tag. I know I do.

My "wanted" ads often get removed from the "for sale" section, but I see other people doing it day after day without removal.

BonairII

Commander

Yeah, if you're routinely unavailable to return a call/email quickly...that makes it tough. I rule out sellers that don't get back to me within a 6-8 hours.

I figure that if a seller wants to sell their item they need to be jumping at the chance to get back to any prospective buyers.

In this day and age, I also assume that most people have smartphones and/or quick access to their email....so if I don't get a quick reply, I figure that they are ignoring my questions etc.

I've had a ton of sellers contact me "days" after I emailed them about their item....and my reply is always, "I've already found one".

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, if you're routinely unavailable to return a call/email quickly...that makes it tough. I rule out sellers that don't get back to me within a 6-8 hours.

I figure that if a seller wants to sell their item they need to be jumping at the chance to get back to any prospective buyers.

In this day and age, I also assume that most people have smartphones and/or quick access to their email....so if I don't get a quick reply, I figure that they are ignoring my questions etc.

I've had a ton of sellers contact me "days" after I emailed them about their item....and my reply is always, "I've already found one".

Wow, only 6-8 hours?
That doesn't even give a guy enough time to get a good nights sleep.

I have worked graveyard, rotating swing shifts, weekends, 12 hour shifts, and split shifts. I also like to spend time on the water, and often drive several hundred miles. No smart phone here, and there is still a large area of N WI that has little or no cell coverage. I also know that many employers don't allow cell phones on the production floor. So I know that sometimes people need some time to get back to you.
Have no problem with that.

BonairII

Commander

Wow, only 6-8 hours?
That doesn't even give a guy enough time to get a good nights sleep.

No. I'm referring to when I email/call or text them during the day. If I don't hear from them the same day I contact them....I write them off.

IMO, if you're selling something you need to be checking your emails and voicemails often(daily, at least). Also, a seller needs to be able to send pics should a prospective buyer need a pic. I'm not a fan of driving 30 mins only to find out that the item is junk, when a simple pic could have saved me a lot of time/gas.

Drives me nuts when a seller says. "I don't know how to send pictures".

dolluper

Captain

What the heck are pictures.....they shoulda said

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No. I'm referring to when I email/call or text them during the day. If I don't hear from them the same day I contact them....I write them off.

IMO, if you're selling something you need to be checking your emails and voicemails often(daily, at least). Also, a seller needs to be able to send pics should a prospective buyer need a pic. I'm not a fan of driving 30 mins only to find out that the item is junk, when a simple pic could have saved me a lot of time/gas.

Drives me nuts when a seller says. "I don't know how to send pictures".

Yeah, I know, but your day, may be their night. Just saying.
I used to work 10 pm to 10 am, when I got home, the phone was turned off until I woke up.

I usually end up driving 2-3 hours to look at something decent.

I don't live in the sticks, but I can see them from here. LOL :(

BonairII

Commander

Yeah, I know, but your day, may be their night. Just saying.
I used to work 10 pm to 10 am, when I got home, the phone was turned off until I woke up.

(

Seems like I end up contacting a lot of sellers similar to you. LOL

I guess i assume that sellers(or just people in general) are like me.....regardless of the situation, my cell phone is always on(on "vibrate" when need be), but I always know immediately when someone has emailed/called or texted me . I know to return the call as soon as is feasible.