Craftsman Tools/Danaher Tool Group

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Well here's your Christmas bonus!! Danaher's Springfield Mass operations closing in Feb.2005 330 people lose there jobs one week before Christmas. This shop makes something that about every household in the US owns THE CRAFTSMAN RACHET! The Ceo Larry Culp should be ashamed of his self YOU could of waited til the new year to drop it on them.............The shop was featured on The Travel Channel's "Made in America" show last year.....

D

DJ

Re: Craftsman Tools/Danaher Tool Group

Probably better before Christmas. That way the employees won't build up a mountain of Christmas debt only to find out they have no job in February.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sucks....company I work for did that a couple years ago right before Christmas. <br /><br />If you think about it though, would you rather get laid off before Christmas (maybe a touch more than a week before) and before you spent all that cash shopping or would you rather get laid off right after Christmas...after you've spent more money than you've got in the first place? <br /><br />The financial aspect aside, still makes for a crappy holiday all around though.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I hear about these sort of things it really ticks me off... another plant undoubtly laid to rest by offshore competition. Maybe the new Craftsman ratchet plant will be featured on the "Made in China" show next year...<br /><br />On a more serious note... Blu - It's very troubling to hear about people in your situation. I hope everything works itself out for you and your family in the long run.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Luckly it's not our plant it's our sister plant. The plant is going to be split between Texas and Arkanasa plant's. The local news said there are people that were there between 20 and 30 years. You can read about it at wwlp.com there is a story and video there.....

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

SBN: thanks for posting the link I don't know how to do it......Thank you

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is the last day of work for the second shift at the Ford plant here in St.Louis.I believe they said 900 something employees.At least they knew it was coming.The plant has been threatening to close all together for a couple of years.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We had 2 grocery stores in my town, until 27 minutes ago.<br />Now only one.<br />Last week, a major employer in town was bought out, still open, but approx 100 out of work.<br />The one and only quasi department store within 35 miles (Kmart), will be closing in 6 months.<br />50 were just laid off at my plant, and the rest of us will only be <br /> working about 32hours per week.<br /><br />The town only has 4300 men women and children.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Nice try crab bait, but I lay this on the head of the guy who sold out to china and gave them preferred trade status, inspite of their human rights violations. That would be B Clinton.<br /><br />As for the job losses in my town, they are the results of automation, productivity improvements, local competition, and consolidation and eliminating duplicate jobs.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> shame he can't run for a third term..
I agree 100 percent! <br />But I think for different reasons! ;) <br /><br />May the fish find your lures attractive and the women, ah, awe are you picking on Blondes again ?? :D :D

PW2

Commander

It is a concept called creative destruction, and is an integral part of capitalism and the free market system.<br /><br />When there are improvements, and capital flows to those improvements, some place of a necessity must lose out. It is the nature of the system.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> shame he can't run for a third term..
I Wish he Could............<br /><br />Lockheed/ Martin is adding 500 positions in their plant about an hour south of here..........<br />Pay Scale runs from $12.00@hour, to 6 Figures............<br /><br />General Economy is UP .......<br />Unemployment is Falling .........<br />So much for the Crash & Burn Liberal Twist........ :p <br /><br />I'm Very Sure that Hilarious Clinton will be running for Her 3rd term in 08.......... :D

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found out the Monday after Thanksgiving that my company is locking its doors. 350 will be out of work here Mar 31. At least we got some notice I suppose. Sucks! :mad: :mad: And my wife is due May 31... :rolleyes:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

"Your wife is due May 31..." . ?????<br /><br />What? Did you order a wife on the internet? :) <br /><br />Sorry for your job loss. Think of it as an opportunity, if you can.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Roscoe...<br />My main concern is the insurance coverage when she delivers. I can do the COBRA and keep my coverage for a mere $1200-$1400 a month...chump change 'eh!?!? How are you supposed to pull that off while you are unemployed?<br />Like you said though, I am looking at it as a chance to get into a better job that I may enjoy more. I wanted to find a new job before I got the bad news but I wish I was able to do it at my convienence.<br />It's just a shame to see all these jobs going overseas.Just looking back at the last 3 years, the US has taken so many major hits with plant closures that you have to wonder where we will be 10 years from now. There won't be any jobs left at all.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But wewill all have bargains at Wallmart.

spratt

Lieutenant

Ain't it funny how everything bad is Bush's fault, but the good never gets laid to his credit? I guess folks just GOT to have someone to be able to point the finger of blame at...