cracks on old sport lido 1959

tim thompson

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
53
What is the best treatment for the old boat that has suface cracks from sun etc..????
 

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jun 13, 2010
Messages
364
Re: cracks on old sport lido 1959

There are a lot of threads in the "restoration" portion of this forum, search on "cracks", "cracked gel-coat", etc. I also found a good set of videos on a commercial site over on the Sea-Ray site I also visit. Site is Spookeay Marine,
http://spookeaymarine.info/videos.htm
Look at the videos on the "Sea Ray SRV 190" restoration. Shows fixing the cracks. Basically you open them up into a "V", then fill with a boat filler (I don't recommend bondo- use polyester gel-coat or something like MarineTex).

You'll have two choices as you fix the cracks. If you want to use gel-coat you'll spend a bit of time to match the original gel-coat in color. The other way is to fill with a filler that's close to your hull color, then prep and paint the entire surface. Your choice, if you have a lot of cracks it's probably easier to paint. Just a few, easier to match/fill/buff.

I'm not attached to Spookeay marine in any way, I just thought these were a good set of videos.
 
Top