FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I'm the ultimate tight wad. I've been there, done that. Best to bite the bullet and get new manifolds. My experience was that they rusted on the inside which resulted in water on top of pistons by coming in thru open exhaust valves...caused some nasty problems...blown head gaskets, warped heads, oil in water, etc. not a good idea to take chances with those buggers....especially if salt water.
Yes, BUT good luck findong someone who can/will weld cast iron, and do it well. Then once it is done you still have a manifold that probably has other intnernal issuse that can't be fixed.
As randy pointed out above, exhaust manifolds do not get repaired, they get replaced. A manifold leak can cost you a complete engine.
Check around. You can get a full set of manifolds and risers for that motor in either cast iron or aluminum for less than $500. Chances are if it needs welding, it also has other problems like plugged passages.
I thought about having my manifold welded when it cracked, but decided it was best to go ahead and replace it. I'm glad I did.
It's absolutely possible to weld cast iron. To it right would cost more than a new manifold AND you would have a manifold that would probably just crack again.
Just buy new manifolds and consider yourself lucky they didn't completely ruin the engine.
I replaced a whole Stern drive & engine because I couldn't get new manifolds....
You can MIG or TIG cast iron easily and inexpensively. ARC welding on the other hand is difficult and expensive. But, these guys are right. If it cracked on the outside, what happened on the inside? You won't be able to weld the internal cracks and will probably end up with a hydrolocked motor or rusted cylinder walls from water intrusion. Either way more expensive to repair than just bucking up for the new manifolds now.
--
Stan