Cracked Exhaust Manifold

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1988 OMC 5.0L (Chev) that I just got to start a few minutes ago. It purrs like a kitten and then water starts spewing out of one of the exhaust manifolds! I looked and there is a 4 inch long crack in it. I looked at the other side and it is the same way. Am I going to have to replace both of these or could a machine shop weld them or what. Also what caused this? Did the last guy not winterize it properly? Any advice would be nice. Thanks Kep

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Replace both manifold, and both risers. Or, you will be fighting overheating problems till you do.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I'm assuming that you are raw water cooled.....Yes, they were never never drained for winter....Replace the manifolds & risers, & save yourself headaches down the road...JK

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its raw water cooled I would pressure test the block assy before dropping dimes on manifolds and risers.<br /> its possible the block/heads got cracked as well

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is raw water cooled. As far as the block and the heads wouldnt that make the engine run poorly? Also, does anyone know where to get a set of manifolds for a decent price?

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there any way to temporarily fix this so that I can run it to make sure the rest of the engine is good?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its only leaking to the outside then JB weld it. but yes it can crack to the inside and waste a motor that purrs. so can manifolds if they cracked to the inside as well as out. if ya wanna be impatient be impatient to pressure test the block before doing further damage.