Cracked Block???

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
HAy all. My VP 4.3_GL is mixing water and oil. the Choc. Milk is coming up through the PVC Valve, I'm in Houston Texas. we jsut had the winter from hell...I had it inside but it looks like it got me..... Wondering if there is any other place it could be coming from,,,,
Thx/...... Also ya think Homeonewers will pay for this???

kenny nunez

Captain
They usually crack first under the intake manifold. That is the thinnest part of the block. That freeze has probably broken a lot of marine engines.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you didnt drain all 5 drain locations (intake manifold t-stat cross-over, block drains and manifold drains). expect to have a busted block...... and exhaust manifolds

regarding home-owners insurance, that is between you and the insurance company.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I doubt that the Homeowners policy will cover it, it usually requires a stand alone boat policy and even with that freeze is generally not covered. Probably time to start looking for a replacement block.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Given the super cold temps,I suspect there will be a lot more blocks that didnt survive

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It would be interesting as to how many engines suffered last week.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The whole situation is really sad. A cracked block in a boat is one thing (easily solved) broken pipes in your house is another thing entirely. I hope there is enough money to make all those people whole again! One thing I did about a year before Hurricane Sandy was get a generator, if you have the ability to use propane or nat gas it can really help. We used gasoline, not ideal but I figured out a safe way to store enough for 2 weeks of power out. At the end of it, I siphoned gas out of the Four Winns in the driveway (had just filled it in August, storm was at the end of Oct). 40 gallons more sure came in handy.
Just one more reason why any boat I have in the future will be outboard powered. I've had quite enough of this winterizing ritual we all have to go though here in the northern climes. I love small block Chevrolets, but in classic cars/hot rods!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, you have most likely suffered the cracked block. I'm sure there will be many folks from Texas and surrounding areas with the same plight, since it was wicked cold for several days and the power was out for much of it, so even the 'heated garage' folks probably have not escaped.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Once you confirm the cracked block, I would act quickly and get a replacement ordered. If you wait to long, you may not be able to secure one easily as they may sell out. When I repowered, I had good luck with Michiganmotorz.