Cracked beam an issue?

hockeypat27

Cadet
I am working on a 1989 Sea Nymph GLS195.
When I got the floors cleaned up, I found this crack as well as the aluminum piece just above it, to be separated from the rivets.
Im thinking about riveting the upper piece back on, but not repairing the lower crack.

Has anyone seen this before? Any recommendations?

IMG_6072.jpeg

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looks like at least 3 of 4 of those are cracked. I would weld all indications then brace.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ok thx. I was thinking that if I had it welded, the hull flexing would just crack the weld. Also thought about getting aluminum c channels and having it welded on over top of that beam.
Not welding and the hull will crack and you will have a leak or worse, sink

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Big waves really flex these hulls.-----Some aluminum alloys have poor resistance to fatigue.----Also difficult to bend.----Hence the fancy dimples at the bend.------Find a shop experience in aluminum boat repair.----Your location

hockeypat27

Cadet
Like when I avoid checking my bank account.. I just took a closer look at the remainder of the braces. Yea, 8 have at least a hairline crack.

I’ll get it in somewhere for repair.

Reactions: KJM

racerone

Supreme Mariner
An experienced aluminum boat repair shop might say----" here is the fix , we do this type of repair all the time. "-----Look around in your area.-----Send them pictures of the issue.----Find out what they say , recommend.

airshot

Rear Admiral
By all means repair those cracks !! Depending on how you use the boat will depend on how involved your repair needs to be. If it were mine, at the minimum I would make bracing to cover and re-enforce those areas. Welding and bracing would be prefered. Someone has been running in some rough seas at speed to cause those cracks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Like when I avoid checking my bank account.. I just took a closer look at the remainder of the braces. Yea, 8 have at least a hairline crack.

I’ll get it in somewhere for repair.
Check your local radiator shop. Most do aluminum welding cheap

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Bracing/reinforcement of the Cracked Areas is needed. Some of those Rivets should also be checked as they would have seen a lot of Stress before those beams failed

hockeypat27

Cadet
Bracing/reinforcement of the Cracked Areas is needed. Some of those Rivets should also be checked as they would have seen a lot of Stress before those beams failed
Yes I agree. It’s actually the reason the boat is ripped apart right now. I know of at least 6 rivets in the area that are compromised. Thanks for the input. Reinforces (non pun intended) some things I was considering.