CQR anchors

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any comments on the pro's and con's of CQR anchors? <br /><br />I have currently have a Danforth (won't roll up on the windlass correctly) I lost a Delta Fastset (from fouling it in the bottom.<br /><br />I anchor in 30' to 50' of water w/ muddy bottom and use 25' of chain and have 150' of nylon rope. <br /><br />Boat is a 28' Marinette which only weighs 6000 lbs.<br /><br />Thanks, :confused:

magster65

Commander
Re: CQR anchors

I have a 20 lb. CQR and quite like it... the Danforth I had on my last boat was a good unit too.<br /><br />Bad things; heavy, big, doesn't always set right away, watch your fingers around that swivel!!<br /><br />Good things; strong, anchor to anything, winds up nice and rights itself, holds very well when set, asthetically pleasing unit.<br /><br />My boat's a 26 Tolly sedan bridge (10000 lbs.) and one afternoon I had a 22 Scarab on one side and a 'loaded' 20 Hourston on the other in a strong wind with only my anchor down and it held us still in the sand. I have 120' of chain and about 200' of rode... not that I need the depth but I need the chain because I frequently anchor in tight quarters and can't afford to drift much so I use the windlass from the bridge to pull up the anchor as I leave. <br />Plus... I know it looks cool 'cause lotsa' people watch :) <br />Thumbs up from me.<br />How about another picture of your Marinette?

handball

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tgisel,<br />As far as I have experienced in 50 years of boating the danforth is probably the best anchor for mud. The CQR is a great anchor for every other bottom. One of the only times in my life an anchor dragged on me was in little neck bay on long island when a southwest wind picked up and gusted to about 25 knots. We were down below and the boat started moving backwards at a prety good rate. After getting the anchor back up it was covered with black mud. I have used a 45 pound CQR and all chain on my 43 foot sail boat from long island to the bahamas and never had a problem, except it took 20 minutes to power wash the chain while bringing it up.<br />Bill

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I have never used a CQR but I use a Delta plow and a Bruce claw all the time. Both hold well and work well in a windlass. They cost less than a CQR too.

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the responses! <br /><br />Magster here you go here are some pics of my Marinette. Before and after shots I had to strip it all the way down to bare metal re-prime and then paint, replace the rear floor.<br /><br />
mr3bsw.jpg
<br /><br /><br />
mr390w.jpg

magster65

Commander

Nice. I always liked the lines of a classic express cruiser. Is that woman following you?

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She is making sure I do not spend anymore money!

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

two differnent women I just caught on to that. My wife in the last one and I have no clue who that is in the first pic.

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Magster65 where did you buy your 120' of chain? Did you use galvanized? I think my windlass will accept 1/4" chain and 1/2" rope. Alot of the chain I see says "not recommended for windlass".