Couple questions about "Senko" type lures

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
These lures were recommended to me in another fishing post of mine. I picked up some Gander Mountain brand Senko style lures, the "heavily salted" rubbery worms.

Sure enough, they're covered in salt like a pretzel. And I believe they're supposed to be impregnated with salt too. What's the point of the salt-- i think it's supposed to make the lure heavier and feel more realistic, but does it also make the lure taste better to fish? And does it mean that the lures are single-use only-- are they no longer effective once the outside salt's been washed off?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Couple questions about "Senko" type lures

The salt is there to make the fish hold on to the artificial bait longer- long enough for a hookset. I have heard some suggest it also is for putting a scent trail in the water, but I think salt is more to get the fish to hang on to the bait long enough to get a hook in. That's why I use Garlic and Salt oil on my walleye stuff occasionally.

gonefishie

Commander

You can use it until it fall apart which is pretty easy so in essence it's a single use. Especially the Yamamoto brand which is softer then all other knock offs and break the easiest. Because of the soft plastic that Gary developed and have not been duplicated to the T by others. It's the most expensive and some guys will swear that it's more effective then others.

John_S

Rear Admiral

The Senko knock-offs, generally are heavier and not as flexible as the original Yamamoto (as gonefishie said). This includes the Gander, Aluring Baits, and many others I've tried. Many times the knock-offs work just fine, but the original still has an edge on action and slow drop. If I am not getting bit on the knock-offs, I will switch to the original. Could be a confidence thing, since the Yamamoto was also my first use of that type of lure. They do not last long, and that is one slight advantage the knock-offs have.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guess maybe I'll try the Yamamoto brand. I haven't had any success with the Gander brand anyway. Thanks for the info.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Are you texas or wacky rigging them? If wacky rigging, best to use O-ring and position such that it drops horizontal. For texas rigging, make sure the hook position provides the balance to drop horizontal.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you texas or wacky rigging them? If wacky rigging, best to use O-ring and position such that it drops horizontal. For texas rigging, make sure the hook position provides the balance to drop horizontal.

I've always Texas rigged them. Been meaning to try a wacky rig. Seems to drop horizontal when I test close enough where I can see it in the water.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I always do a quick test after tying up. Different hook sizes, types, and brands can change the weight. You should notice more movement on the ends of the Yamamoto Senko on the drop, VS the Gander.

88steve

Cadet

Senko's are my favorite baits to fish due to how easy they are to control and the fish love them! I recommend only using the Yamamoto Senko because it has the salt impregnated into it not just laced on the outside. The salt impregnated gives the bait more weight to cast but it also provides perfect balance in the water. I prefer the wacky rig presentation most of the time to maximize the effectiveness of this bait.

j_martin

Admiral

I make a zipper worm rip-off flat belly with heavily salted, extra soft plastic. I hook it in the middle with a #2 plain shank hook and throw it near or over cover.

The salt makes it sink about as fast as a night crawler would. I use an oily crayfish or garlic attractant for flavor. Bass pick it up very gently, and just slowly swim away with it. Accurate casting to prime cover helps. The biggest problem I have with them is short life, and the fish will actually swallow them if I'm slow on the hook set.

scipper77

Commander

The problem with the knockoffs is that they just don't get the same results. If I had to recomend an alternative worm it would have to be the Berkley Gulp. Sinking minnow works for me. With the gulps it's all about the scent, not really the action. I have drug these on the bottom at a snails pace and gotten bass. The problem is fishing this slow it can take an hour to get a fish on a good day. I'd go for the superior action of the Senko over the superior scent of the Gulp. Try the wacky rig. Just drop it in a hole in the weed bed, let it sink and give it a few tugs for action. Let it fall again, they always hit on the fall. Then move on to the next hole.

What seems like a comperable knock off to you may seem far less subtle to the fish. The smallest variation in presentation can make a huge difference in success.

In closing, there's a reason why people have no issues paying more for Yamamoto's. THEY WORK! If they didn't and they cost more Gary would be out of business.

John_S

Rear Admiral

In closing, there's a reason why people have no issues paying more for Yamamoto's. THEY WORK! If they didn't and they cost more Gary would be out of business.

After last year's price increase, it appears another is in store for next year. I have seen reports that BPS has already raised prices to $7 a bag. Stock up while you can. :)

scipper77

Commander

After last year's price increase, it appears another is in store for next year. I have seen reports that BPS has already raised prices to $7 a bag. Stock up while you can. :)

Yeah but the scary part is until I find something better I'll pay $7. I'd probably pay $10 (don't tell Gary). Catching more fish is worth it to me. If a bag of 10 senko's gets me 10 fish that's less than $1 per fish. I'd pay that. Wouldn't you?

John_S

Rear Admiral

IMHO: If the price is going up, its not because the raw material cost went up. Gary and Co know what the market will bare. To me, it appears that the co is getting a little greedy. That appearance MAY hurt them in the future. I have good luck with the knock-offs, but will switch to original when it makes the difference. For someone like the poster, that is new to this type of lure, the original is a better starting point.

gonefishie

Commander

I stopped using them on a regular basic when it hit $5/bag. I forced myself to catch fish using other methods and reserved them for only when I'm really desperate. Kinami Baits, Derek Yamamoto's company, uses the exact same recipes but cheaper because it doesn't have his dad's name on it. BTW, a bottle of Pro's Soft-Bait glue will extends the life of your precious senkos.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With all this talk about the effectiveness of the Senko lures vs. the ever-increasing cost, what about just using live bait? The only time I use live bait is when I'm hook & bobber fishing for bluegills or other panfish with my kids. I just assumed that live bait wouldn't work for a bass-type rig because it would come off too easy. Is this the case, or can you use real worms for bigger fish? A Texas rig might hold up better than a wacky rig. A container of 18 jumbo Canadian nightcrawlers is only around $4.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Yea, Live Bait really sucks skipping under docks! :D

gonefishie

Commander

Yea, Live Bait really sucks skipping under docks! :D

If you can somehow figure out how to keep it on the hook and the pesky bluegill from nibbling it off. You can't keep a can of nightcrawler in the boat for months though. In the end, it's probably more expensive. I'd bet it would works awesome. Imagine the live wriggling action of the worm as it sink. If I'm Mr. Bass I wouldn't be able to stand it.

scipper77

Commander

Why no live bait?? It's simple, there are probably 100 perch or sunfish to every 1 bass and they will usually get to the bait well before the bass do (at least in the case of worms this holds true). Additionally different lure tactics will bring bigger fish. I find trolling crankbaits yields bigger fish.

If I want to fish for perch or sunnies I wouldn't consider anything but worms.

People do use larger minnows (chubs) for pike all the time. This is a perfectly viable technique.

John_S

Rear Admiral

You can't keep a can of nightcrawler in the boat for months though.

Sure you could. Hot sunny 80+ degree days, no problem. It might be hard to get someone else to come fishing with you though. ;)