Couple of questions

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Were the compression numbers above 135?
I agree with Chris, get a complete longtail from the late 90s or newer

ccoon520

Seaman
There are plans in the works to do a complete overhaul on the boat in a few years, but that is outside of what is feasible right now. I am trying to see if the block has a crack in it to see if I need to set this project aside until I can afford to do the intrusive work to it. If the block is good I can get 351 parts easily still and I don't mind having an older drive train since I can still get major components for it.

The compression numbers were below 135 on the gauge but I do not know how accurate the gauge was, or if it was leaking compression somewhere else because the tools were not available for me to check that.

Please don't take this as me casting aside advice, but even if I went and got a junkyard LS, converted it to marine parts, a salvaged transom plate, bell housing and outdrive for alpha 1 plus anything else that doesn't mesh up to the old parts I'm looking at the better part of 5k at least. Which is not in the cards right now.

kenny nunez

Captain
Too bad you did not pressure test the engine before taking the heads off.
For the time being take them to a machine shop and have them checked.
One source for a complete package is the Copart Auction. They often have boats that were involved in accidents.