couple of questions

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1981 evo 70 hp.

Had the boat out yesterday and picked up some eel grass apparently. I make a habit of checking the "pee stream" to make sure it's pumping.
I noticed it wasn't and what looked like steam around the back of the engine so I immediately throttled it back and shut it off. I waited about 15 seconds and tried to start it. It started ( and was pumping) but quit when I put it in gear.
I started it again and idled it up with the fast idle and let it run for a few minutes.
Eventually it idled when I put it in gear and seemed to work great after that.
When I got it home it started and idled normally when I flushed it.
I pulled the cover off to see if there was anything obvious that might have caused this. I noticed a "sensor" in the cylinder head by the thermostat housing with a wire that goes to the wiring harness by the coils.
Is this some type of safety feature that cuts power to the coils if the motor over heats?

the other "stupid" question is..what is the friction adjustment on my remote throttle control for? :redface:

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: couple of questions

the friction adjust is for how hard it is to return to idle when you let go. think of it as a cruise control setup where you can control how stiff it is. you can have it go back to idle when you let go, up to where it stays put when you let go of the throttle.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the friction adjust is for how hard it is to return to idle when you let go. think of it as a cruise control setup where you can control how stiff it is. you can have it go back to idle when you let go, up to where it stays put when you let go of the throttle.
Ah. Thanks for the reply. :)

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive set mine to return at the slightest nudge, case something happens and i need to kill it quick. nothing worse than havving to chop throttle and fighting a stiff stick

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

the sensor is supposed to complete the circut to the overheat horn if you overheat.Test it by,disconnecting the quick disconnect at the end of wire by the sensor,with the key on ,ground the harness side to a engine bolt or other ground,the horn should sound,it will be located inside the control box,if it doesnt sound ,I suggest you fix it,if you did overheat the eng last run thru eel grass it should have sounded.Be sure you dont ground the sensor wire,it needs to be the harness side ,key on,the horn MAY continue after the wire is un grounde,that OK just turn key back off and it will reset

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks mikesea. I didn't hear any alarm. I'll give that a try tomorrow and mudslinging79..I like that suggestion.