Couple of 470 issues & questions

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986-87 winner escape 1750 -- 470 , 3.7 -- runs like new after repairing cam shaft/water pump seals -- the tach on the dash does not read correctly or bounces back and forth from 2k to 3k during idle of a thousand or less tach or electrical issue somewhere i have not looked ?

also exhaust bellows has a 1/2" tear in it on bottom when trimmed up for trailer IS IT SAFE for me to run out the rest of the summer with it like this ? i do have a new bellows tube here but no extra time as of right now !!!! thanks I BOATS for all your help in the past.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Couple of 470 issues & questions

I have a 1986-87 winner escape 1750 -- 470 , 3.7 -- runs like new after repairing cam shaft/water pump seals -- the tach on the dash does not read correctly or bounces back and forth from 2k to 3k during idle of a thousand or less tach or electrical issue somewhere i have not looked ?

also exhaust bellows has a 1/2" tear in it on bottom when trimmed up for trailer IS IT SAFE for me to run out the rest of the summer with it like this ? i do have a new bellows tube here but no extra time as of right now !!!! thanks I BOATS for all your help in the past.

Howdy,

A torn exhaust bellows will not hurt a thing (new ones for the OMC Cobra come with holes in them!)

My previously installed King Cobra ran without an exhaust bellows for about 15 years!

Don't worry about it. Check your main bellows though. a leak there (aside from ruining your u-joints) can allow water into the drive and the boat!

Regards,

Rick

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Main bellows is like new -- looks to have been replaced before i took over this unit thank you

I second the bellows advise...

Could be a bad tach. How does the engine sound? Can you hear it change with the readings?

You could confirm the tach with either a dwell meter, or digital timing light, many newer ones today also read RPM's.

Achris has been posting about a pretty cool little Digital Multi Meter that read RPM's also for cheap money on ebay. Confirm the tach readings before doing anything on the motor.

edit: found Achris' post:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-...639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac2e42597

Last edited:

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

motor DOES NOT change rpm's when running at all -- i just went thru this whole engine and this beast runs like new !!!! i will try dwell meter like suggested (good idea thanks) but i am wondering if there is a pulse switch somewhere ? -- before i get my fat arse under the tight dash lol --