Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Skylarkguy

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
5
Hello,

I have a 1962 28 HP Johnson. Model RXL 10C

1. Where do I hook up the ear muffs to run water through the motor while testing?
2. Does this motor have neutral or is the propeller always turning in one direction or another?
3. Can I run it without a propeller and put the lower unit in a barrel of water for testing instead?

More questions to follow no doubt.

Thanks
 

jasper60103

Commander
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
2,055
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Hello,

I have a 1962 28 HP Johnson. Model RXL 10C

1. Where do I hook up the ear muffs to run water through the motor while testing?
Muffs don't work well with type of lower unit. Just run in a barrel.
2. Does this motor have neutral or is the propeller always turning in one direction or another?
Yes, FNR
3. Can I run it without a propeller and put the lower unit in a barrel of water for testing instead?
No need to remove the prop unless you want to. In any case, don't rev the engine high in a barrel.
More questions to follow no doubt.

Thanks


Here's my '62 Johnson 28hp...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXx1MFvOz88

Btw, I have the manual for this motor.
PM me your email address if you want me to send you a copy.
Enjoy.
 

Skylarkguy

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
5
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Hey thanks, I'll send you a message. Something must be wrong with my lower unit because the prop is always going around and blowing all the water out of the bucket.
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Bucket??? I hope it is a big one.
 

lindy46

Captain
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
3,886
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Hey thanks, I'll send you a message. Something must be wrong with my lower unit because the prop is always going around and blowing all the water out of the bucket.
Shift rod possibly disconnected? Remove the oval plate from the side of the leg and look inside at the shift rod coupler. Both upper and lower shift rods should be firmly attached to the coupler by the two coupler bolts. Move the shift rod through the gears and make sure the lower shift rod is moving up and down.
 

Skylarkguy

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
5
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

my bucket is a plastic 55 gallon drum cut down to the 45 gallon line...its a big bucket:)

Thanks I'll check on the shift rod.
 

kfa4303

Banned
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
6,094
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

glad you have a large test tank. Here are a few tests you can run with the motor off and out of the tank to see if the gears are working ok. With the motor off, twist the throttle down all the way, then try to shift into Fwd, Neu, Rev. Be sure you shift a qiuck, deliberate manner. You can check to see if it is engaging the gear a couple different ways. When you shift into Fwd, you should be able to spin the prop about 1/4 of a turn, in the clockwise direction, before it engages the gear firmly and will no longer rotate. When you shift into Rev, you should be able to spin the prop about 1/4 turn in the counterclockwise direction before it engages the gear firmly and will no longer rotate. You can also remove the spark plugs, twist the throttle all the way down, then shift into Fwd. When you spin the flywheel clockwise (only ever clockwise, never counterclockwise) by hand, the prop should also rotate in the clockwise direction. When you shift into Rev and spin the flywheel clockwise by hand the prop should now spin counterclockwise. The prop should not spin at all when you spin the flywheel while the motor is in neutral. Hope these help a bit. Keep us posted.
 

Skylarkguy

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
5
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Thanks for the advice. I performed these tests and everything seems to be in working order turns out that the problem wasn't in the motor but was between my ears.

It seems I was starting it IN GEAR:facepalm: The prop was then turning and the tank emptied pretty quick.
Better to learn this on dry land i guess rather than at sea. Here is a video of the motor running...in neutral. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LuJj6wq6pM
 

lindy46

Captain
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
3,886
Re: Couple dumb questions until I get my books

Nice motor - seems to be running good in the tank. Pumping water nicely. Now, get her out on the water to do final carb adjustments.
 
Top