Could someone help me regarding Yamaha Breakin Tips?

bcorradi

Cadet
Hello all,<br /><br />I just purchased a new 2002 25hp yamaha 2 cyclinder with the 100:1 Premix. I've heard a few different things from different dealers on what my breakin procedure should be. One dealer said to not use a 50:1 mixture in the first tank. All the others say to use a 50:1 mixture. I've also heard to stay away from staying at a constant speed for too long and also to refrain from idling excessively. Is there any other suggestions or pointers I should know or be aware of during breakin? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance!!

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Could someone help me regarding Yamaha Breakin Tips?

This may be a dumb question, but did you get an owners manual with your new motor?<br /><br />The manual should have the final anwser on how to break in the motor.<br /><br />I recently broke-in a 40HP Johnson, which required 50:1 premix for the first 10 hours. The premix is to ensure lubrication until the oil injection system is fully charged.<br /><br />Also, the manual stated not to constant idle, maintain a constant speed, or run max throttle (the last one I did anyway (for a bit) just because I had to. :D <br /><br />These are probably common methods for breaking in any two stroke.<br /><br />Follow your manual and enjoy your new motor.

bcorradi

Cadet

Thanx Marty,<br /><br />Actually I bought this motor online and it didn't come with the owner's manual ; (. I have one ordered and on the way from yamaha. Since this was a fairly risky purchase I don't want to make any mistakes on break in.<br />Thanx again....

Forktail

Ensign

Here ya go. Right out of my 2-stroke Yamaha manual.<br /><br />"Break-in procedure: Your new engine requires a period of break-in to allow mating surfaces of moving parts to wear-in evenly and thus ensure proper performance and longer engine life.<br /><br />Mixing ratio: Oil/Gasoline 1:50<br /><br />CAUTION:<br /><br />Be sure to use a premix fuel during a break-in period.<br /><br />Break in time: 10 hours<br /><br />1) Run the engine at trolling speeds (the lowest possible speed) for the first 10 minutes.<br /><br />2) With an easy planing boat, bring it into the planing position; then, immediately reduce the throttle to approximately 3,000 rpm (one-half throttle), continue running at this throttle setting for 50 minutes.<br /><br />3) Bring the boat into the planing state and reduce throttle to 4000 rpm or three-quarter throttle (approximate) while maintaining planing. continue running at this throttle setting for one (1) hour.<br /><br />NOTE: Run full throttle for approximately one (1) out of every 10 minutes.<br /><br />4) for the next eight (8) hours, avoid continuous full throttle operation for more than five 95) minutes.<br /><br />5) After the first 10 hours, use straight gasoline for normal operation of the Precision blend system."

bcorradi

Cadet

ForkTail,<br /><br />I really appreciate you spending the time to post that. It helps me tremendously.<br /><br />Thanx again and take care,<br />ND Fisherman