Could my starting problem be due to not being in nuetral?

Grice7

Cadet
I have a 1972 165 hp 250 ci straight 6 with a pre alpha out drive. I recently purchased this boat as a project and up to a week ago it ran fine. I hooked uo a water hose and out it in gear to make sure the drive was working fine, it was. Now when I try to start it just cranks and cranks sometimes acting like it wants to fire but never stays running. I noticed when it does momentarily fire water is getting sprayed from the prop like it is in gear. I have tried pushing the button and vice versa. I have tried WOT, and no throttle. None of that seems to make a differnce. i WAS ASSUMING THE carb was in need of rebuilding and i was saving my money to have that done later this week. When i was glancing at other posts I came to realize I may have a nuetral safety switch but If my switch was working woulldnt that completely stop my engine from turning over by disengaging my starter? or would it cause the problem i described? Does any one have any advice or troubleshooting steps I can take. You guys are very knowledgable and I am sure with your help I can at least better isolate the problem. I am not even sure if I have a NSS. Thank you very much!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Could my starting problem be due to not being in nuetral?

The current that activates the slave solenoid passes through the neutral safety switch. So no the boat would not crank. Put it in N try to start, if it cranks, next shove the control all the way forward without pressing throttle button. If you have a nss that is working it should not crank.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Pump the throttle a couple of times and while giving it a little gas turn it over. If it starts up but wont idle or only runs while giving lots of throttle or pumping the throttle, then your carb needs a rebuild...

Grice7

Cadet

Thanks guys, in either N or after pumping the throttle It will crank all day long sometines firing on a couple of cylinders after I let go of the key. It just wont keep running, and that really sucks because up until a week ago it ran like a champ. Thank you

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

check your points to see iff they are thowing a spark. if not cleasn them up a little.