Cost of 1988 houseboat when new

ChadHubbard

Cadet
Hi All:
My wife and I just purchased a 1988 14 x 52 Waterhouse houseboat. I need to declare the value when originally sold / when new to the Indiana license branch as part of the title process.

Does any one have an idea of how much that boat, outboard powered would have sold for when new?

thanks!

roffey

Commander
Not knowing anything about the tax laws in your area but here we need the value of it today. Boats are difficult to value because there are so many caveats involved. So yup I'm of no help what so ever, lol, and welcome aboard. Some one here will have the value off the top of there head or have a web site to go to.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I have first hand knowledge on this... My advice is RUN

Indiana is rediculous on what they will charge you...

If you plan to use it on boarder waters such as the river, register it on the other side.

Example my 89 28' cruiser was quite a bit more expensive new than what it's worth now but that's what they assess it on... $475/ year vs the $68/3yr I pay in ohio.

Also if they don't have a way to look it up they will usually accept your "best guess".... That's what happened with my fifth wheel.... Should have been around $50,000 but I guessed $1000 and they didn't flinch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi All:
My wife and I just purchased a 1988 14 x 52 Waterhouse houseboat. I need to declare the value when originally sold / when new to the Indiana license branch as part of the title process.

Does any one have an idea of how much that boat, outboard powered would have sold for when new?

thanks!

Is the Waterhouse coming from out of state? If it as previously registered in Indiana, they already have the info on file.

ChadHubbard

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. Yes, Indiana has a steep annual fee for boat registrations. Compared to my brother's overall tax base in Illinois, Indiana is about 1/2 overall. It is what it is. The boat is coming from Kentucky so there is no record of it. I have to declare what I think it sold for new to get the title. I am trying to get a reasonable number. The boat was manufactured in Indiana, but the company is no longer in business.