Corrosion Removal and Repainting My 1990 Force 90

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Planning to do some corrosion work and repainting on my 1990 Force 90. I have the powerhead removed and all attaching hardware (i.e. ignition components, flywhell, carbs, etc.) removed and out of the way (see attached pic). I want to abrasive blast the powerhead with aluminum oxide abrasive, then want to shoot it with either zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer, then top coat it with...??? Not sure if I should use acrylic laquer or something else. Also wondering if I can shoot the same zinc chromate or phosphate primer over the aluminum and the steel (mostly just bolt heads) - compatibilty issues? Also, what kind of zinc chromate/phosphate and topcoat would anyone recommend for this? Also planning to prime and shoot parts of the mount leg and gearbox. Would I need a different primer and paint for those areas than what I would use on the powerhead?IMG_4477.jpg

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
These days real zinc chromate is hard to come by. An epoxy primer and a top c.oat would be about the best you could do.
For rattle can I have used black epoxy appliance paint.
The primer attaches to the metal, but should be protected by the top coat.
If you are really serious two part epoxy is the best, but you probably won't have the motor long enough to tell the difference

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are plenty of zinc chromate primers, even in rattle cans from Moeller at any marine store

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Zinc chromate is not hard to find. I used that on my marine engine rebuild project and then PPG two part primer, followed up with PPG 2K Acrylic Urethane base coat paint and then PPG 2K Acrylic Urethane
clear top coat. And that engine looks like it is covered in glass...
Painted -  (39).JPG
There are other ways and paints as well. Just depends on what you are looking for, for your finish...

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Zinc chromate is not hard to find. I used that on my marine engine rebuild project and then PPG two part primer, followed up with PPG 2K Acrylic Urethane base coat paint and then PPG 2K Acrylic Urethane
clear top coat. And that engine looks like it is covered in glass...
View attachment 329582
There are other ways and paints as well. Just depends on what you are looking for, for your finish...
Gm280, thank you, that’s what I was looking for. I think people believe zinc chromate is hard to find is because of the health hazard (it’s a carcinogen), but, nonetheless it’s still readily available. I’m going to take a closer look at the primers and paint you recommended. Any place in particular (on-line) where I can find this type and brand? Amazon? Elsewhere?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I've found it at a few Mercury/Mercruiser dealers and
some marine parts store's, like West Marine

Google.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a PPG auto-paint store in our area that has all those products I mentioned and used. Most any auto-paint store will have those type paints. If there are any auto-body repair shops in your area, there is an auto-body paint store supplying them with those products. PPG is just one vendor for such paints. But their products are very well known and used. Not sure I would want to order such products online... JMHO