Corrosion paint SX-A outdrive

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Serious problem. Corrosion has compromised the seal of my (in the water behind the transom) SX-A outdrive trim motor. Bought the $2400 replacement trim motor and when replacing, discovered that corrosion compromised the seal (eaten away the metal) so water got in trim motor and killed it!

Need solid, reliable to paint outdrive and most importantly - mating surface of trim motor so it can again be flat and seal with new trim motor housing red seal.

Suggested process?
Best primer? Best paint? Where do you get it (in Canada or shipped)
How to make the gasket mating surface good again (now pitted and original paint peeled off)
Is my anode not working?

If it leaks again its another $2400! Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
Look on forum boatered.com and there is a sticky post of painting aluminum. Is a multi step process to get it primed properly. Forget a self-etching primer if you want it done right.

Are you sure there are no corrosion issues? All zincs in place. None are painted?

During the boating season is the boat kept in a slip? Trailer?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look on forum boatered.com and there is a sticky post of painting aluminum. Is a multi step process to get it primed properly. Forget a self-etching primer if you want it done right.

Are you sure there are no corrosion issues? All zincs in place. None are painted?

During the boating season is the boat kept in a slip? Trailer?
Thanks, I will look. Both zincs are there although one is aparantly magnesium (amazon purchase). Freshwater only, stored in lake then trailer through winter. Bad corrosion all around transom.
Has anyone tried marine-tek below the waterline?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would be pulling the drive, motor, and then the transom shield. get soaked in oxalic acid to remove the corrosion, then bead blast. Then weld up any damaged areas, and face them off with a mill

from there, etching primer, epoxy primer sealer, and a good coat of 2-part paint.

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all input. Here's what I propose to do
1 powerwash
2 sand/scrape clean smooth (as little sanding/brushing as possible on mating surface of trim motor housing
3 Napa Metal conditioner (phosphoric acid-active ingredient in Alumniprep?) to clean exposed metal
4. Marine Tex to build up and smooth mating surface of trim motor housing
5 Some kind of etching primer. Suggestions? (Canada)
6 Paint- epoxy primer and 2 part polyurathane/epoxy paint HOWEVER I can't find one that says for use below waterline Suggestions? (Canada)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you do not remove the corrosion down to good metal, it will be back under your marine tex and primer in about 3 months.

talk to your local industrial paint experts.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
Is it at private dock or marina? Anyone else with a having issues? Typically corrosion is an issue in salt water, not so much in fresh. Do you use shore power in the boat when it's docked?

VP sells an active corrosion system. But again it's geared for salt water usage.

Get the right anodes for fresh water. Do you have anodes on trim tabs?

Get VP OEM anodes.

Last edited:

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update on what I intend to do.. after several days of research.. using products available in Canada 2024 (that excludes Alumiprep and Zinc Chromate Primer)

1) Sand, scrape and brush to good bare metal (thanks Scott)
2) "Metal prep Por 15" - 2 coats - don't wash off. Contains phosphoric acid like Alumiprep, and it leaves zinc coating. (Canadian Tire)
3) Wash off around trim motor housing where it is corroded and carefully apply/sand Marine Tex to build up and smooth mating surface of trim motor housing where it is corroded (Don't let this happen to you!!!) (The Chanderly marine supplies- Ottawa- not listed on their website)
4) Por 15 Rust preventative coating- Grey. 2 coats (see notes in link below) (Amazon)
4) Volvo Penta spray if bad colour match with existing outdrive paint
6) maybe a topcoat of clear Por 15..

To the following links and the ones in this post topic, I owe thanks and pass on their knowledge.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The POR 15 will peal off by itself either right after if not before you splash

That stuff is now garbage

I did a whole writeup about 8 years ago and it failed. My buds in Scotland have been tearing his hotrod apart to reblast and paint his frame because it failed

Use the POR at your own risk. A rattle can of rustoleum would do you better

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
Either do a quick job with spray cans or take your time and follow the directions in boatered.com.

You need products specifically for aluminum. I would forget about the POR-15.

Until I figured out the corrosion problem I would use spray cans.