Corroded wiring - how much is too much?

UWDiver

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All-
I just purchased a 1997 Aquasport 245 Explorer and few of the accessories work. I'm thinking a total re-wire is in the cards.
I'm starting at the bow nav lights and working aft. Everytime I strip some insulation off an existing wire, I see black. Not all black, just a good bit. My questions are these: How much is ok? Will establishing a good ground back to the batteries be a good place to start? Separate ground bars or just a fuse panel with ground?
Thanks for your help!
Chris

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Corroded wiring - how much is too much?

Black is oxidation. You don't want any at all.

A friend of mine restored the same boat. He ended up replacing all the wiring on the boat.

UWDiver

Seaman Apprentice

Where did all the oxidation come from?
Salt?
Poor ground?

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

The air we breath is all it takes. Especially if kept in a humid environment.

UWDiver

Seaman Apprentice

I'm getting ready to begin the rewire process. On a 24' boat, can I wire everything (bilge pumps, lights, radios, GPS, etc.) with 16 gauge or should I do everything in 14? Since I'm buying long spools of wire, I'd like to stick to one gauge. Obviously, I'm not talking about battery cable and feeds/grounds to/from the helm.

jimbo3123

Seaman Apprentice

I'm getting ready to begin the rewire process. On a 24' boat, can I wire everything (bilge pumps, lights, radios, GPS, etc.) with 16 gauge or should I do everything in 14? Since I'm buying long spools of wire, I'd like to stick to one gauge. Obviously, I'm not talking about battery cable and feeds/grounds to/from the helm.

#16 Wire is rated for 10A, #14 is rated for 15A. I would definitely go for #14 for 12VDC service where high current draws are the norm.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Virtually every circuit on a boat can be wired with 16 gauge. Big spot lights, motorized anchor winches, downriggers, and other high current items should all be on separate circuits and depending on current draw, length of the run, etc., may or may not required 14 gauge. Trolling motors are normally wired with 6 gauge wire.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget to shrink wrap the connector ends. Preserve your hard work. Actually the silicone tape is pretty nice too.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have any connections that need to be sealed make sure you use acid free sealant. Most RTV's contain acid which can cause corrosion to grow under the sealant. The vinegar smell is a sure sign of the acid curing process. There are acid free sealants. Auto parts stores sell them as sensor safe.

We used the acid free stuff from Dow chemicals for years when I worked on aircraft electronics.

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope this goes without saying but I going to say it any how. Use marine grade wire and connectors only, as well as a good anticorrosion compound on all connections.

Durwood

UWDiver

Seaman Apprentice

So with heat shrink connectors, you apply the compound to the wires, put them in the connector, and apply heat? Do you crimp as well? Would then using liquid electrical tape be overkill?