Correct sizing of trailer to boat?

SoCalPescador

Seaman
This boat is new to me....

I have a new to me 2017 Alumacraft V16. It has a 2017 Yamaha 25 and a 2017 Karavan trailer.
Total weight for boat and motor: 500#
Battery, fuel, accessories: 300#
Total package: 800#

All three were sold new as a package from Cabelas.
They have been all together since 2017 and have been towed at least 5000 miles over the past 5 years; apparently with no issues (reported to me by previous owner).

The trailer is the smallest boat trailer Karavan makes.

Alumacraft V16 Specs/Dimensions/Capacities:

Based on the boat specs, is the Karavan trailer appropriate for the boat?

NOTES (see attached pics):
The bow of boat is approximately 20" from coupler end.
The sides of hull, at chine, are approx. flush with outside edge of fenders/tires (hull above fenders).
Bunk boards are 2"x4"x5'. I adjusted the boat forward so that the rear part of boards stick out past hull 2".

I was planning on adding a Fulton Fold away tongue and add 2'-3' feet of tongue. This is mainly for launching purposes (so vehicle wheels/tires do not have to go too deep).

I have OCD so details can bother me to obsession!
I tend to overthink everything.

Is the trailer appropriate for the boat?
Is trailer wide enough?
Is it long enough?

Thanks!

Attachments

• sizing 6.jpg
    sizing 6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 21
  • sizing 5.jpg
    sizing 5.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 19
  • sizing 4.jpg
    sizing 4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19
  • sizing 3.jpg
    sizing 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19
  • sizing 2.jpg
    sizing 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 21
  • sizing 1.jpg
    sizing 1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 21

matt167

Rear Admiral
Karavan lists the trailer at 182" maximum which is a little under 16' and the V 16 is 16'7". However the weight is good and I bet Karavan actually lists the trailer as a 16' trailer so it's probably ok. You can push your boat behind the bunks to tongue length and tongue weight balance. You could push the bunks back as well. But your goal is tongue weight being right, not exactly where the boat sits

I put a Venture VB1200 under my 14' tin Starcraft which is a trailer rated to 16'. It is nice having 3+ feet of tongue for launching

SoCalPescador

Seaman
Karavan lists the trailer at 182" maximum which is a little under 16' and the V 16 is 16'7". However the weight is good and I bet Karavan actually lists the trailer as a 16' trailer so it's probably ok. You can push your boat behind the bunks to tongue length and tongue weight balance. You could push the bunks back as well. But your goal is tongue weight being right, not exactly where the boat sits

I put a Venture VB1200 under my 14' tin Starcraft which is a trailer rated to 16'. It is nice having 3+ feet of tongue for launching
Trailer length is 217"
Max boat length is 199" (16.6')

2'-3' of tongue to be added via fold away tongue
I'll also install new bunks that are 6' instead of 5'

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You'll be fine as is, but you will like the added tongue length, If for no other reason as to have space between the winch and the tow vehicle, easier to step over, or open the hatch-trunk-tailgate.

If one guy says get a bigger trailer, the next guy will say your springs are too stiff for the load with a bigger trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Trailer looks fine. What does not look right is the height at which the motor is mounted. The Cavitation plate on the motor should be flush with the bottom of the boat. It appears to be an inch or so too low. This would also gain a bit of height between the skeg and ground when towing. That's not a problem however if using a transom saver when towing.

briangcc

Commander
Looks like the boat is properly supported by the trailer. What would concern me is the distance from the winch post to my tailgate or hatch. I'm sure the camera is playing tricks and its not as bad as it appears but to me, if that was my rig, I'd be seriously looking at adding to the tongue length so that winch post is further from my vehicle.

Again, just me and may be a camera trick.

SoCalPescador

Seaman
Trailer looks fine. What does not look right is the height at which the motor is mounted. The Cavitation plate on the motor should be flush with the bottom of the boat. It appears to be an inch or so too low. This would also gain a bit of height between the skeg and ground when towing. That's not a problem however if using a transom saver when towing.
Yes, I plan on using a Panther transom saver, model 15900

SoCalPescador

Seaman
Looks like the boat is properly supported by the trailer. What would concern me is the distance from the winch post to my tailgate or hatch. I'm sure the camera is playing tricks and its not as bad as it appears but to me, if that was my rig, I'd be seriously looking at adding to the tongue length so that winch post is further from my vehicle.

Again, just me and may be a camera trick.
Yes, 3' tongue will be added via Fulton Fold-Away tongue

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I should have included that the engine mounting height is not just a skeg clearance issue as proper engine height can also optimize performance.

j cat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the trailer should be 20ft long total .. your trailer is to the max boat size..
the boat/motor is the length ..total ..