Correct prop

Hey all. I have a 1985 228 wellcraft sportsman. She is old and I am sure heavier than when she was built. She was repowered in 2000 with a merc 5.0 and a bravo one. This was before I owned it. Spun prop last week and have 2 others that came with it. Does anyone know what size I should run. Old prop was good for 25 mph at 3100 rpm. New one for me 22mph at 3600. Not sure which is better.

Steelguitarman

Seaman Apprentice
Depends on wot. Get that to ensure engine is running at the correct range.

What was the pitch of the old prop compared to the new? Give alittle bit more information so someone on here with good experience can give you some good suggestions.
Jordan

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The prop that gets your motor to 4800RPM at WOT

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hey all. I have a 1985 228 wellcraft sportsman. She is old and I am sure heavier than when she was built. She was repowered in 2000 with a merc 5.0 and a bravo one. This was before I owned it. Spun prop last week and have 2 others that came with it. Does anyone know what size I should run. Old prop was good for 25 mph at 3100 rpm. New one for me 22mph at 3600. Not sure which is better.
First verify your tach is correct. You want to be in the 4600-4800 rpm range at wot. What are the specs on these props as if RPMs are accurate neither of them are appropriate for the application.

is this a new to you boat what is the overall maintenance situation with the boat. If it is down on power then this could be also an issue

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah. As said. You want to be seeing what she does full throttle and well trimmed. Tell us the rpms and speed she gets (gps) after doing that.
What ratio is the bravo 1 ? Is it a 1.5 for example? What prop is on it now ?
I assume you don’t mean that the speed and rpms you stated is when she js at full throttle ?

Last edited: