Correct position of bunks on trailer

I have an 18' center console boat with a Magic Tilt trailer. The trailer has two main bunks with 4 rollers (one per crossmember/axle and one up front). Just finished making a new set of bunks (they turned out quite nice, I must say), and am ready to remove the old ones and put the new ones on.

The boat has never sat correctly on the bunks. The starboard bunk is almost 3/4" lower than the other bunk. This has always caused the boat to tilt when loading and trailering. Naturally, I am going to correct that, but I also noticed that the port side bunk is about an inch lower on the front crossmember than on the rear. In other words, it runs uphill, front to back.

My question is, are the bunks supposed to be level from front to back, tilted slightly to the rear (for drainage?), or tilted slightly to the front? Also, how much clearance should I have between the bottom of the hull and the top of the guide rollers when the boat is resting on the bunks?

Thanks.

Gravysandwich

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Correct position of bunks on trailer

My question is, are the bunks supposed to be level from front to back, tilted slightly to the rear (for drainage?), or tilted slightly to the front? Also, how much clearance should I have between the bottom of the hull and the top of the guide rollers when the boat is resting on the bunks?

Ayuh,... Every hull, 'n Every trailer is different....

I prefer the hull keel line to sit fairly level at it's normal attitude, so when unhooked it can be dolly'ed up to properly drain the hull...
If it's sittin' nose down, ya just gotta crank it higher with the jack...

As for the guide rollers,... It can be sittin' ON 'em if ya like,...
I just don't put much weight on 'em...