Correct Part # for water temp sending unit.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Hey guys, need help finding a correct part number. I have a 2002 5.0 gxi-b engine. I am looking to replace my water temp sending unit that screws into the thermostat housing. I am getting some funny readings on my dash guage and figured this would be a good place to start. My search so far has given me part #3852029. However when look at the posted photos of that sensor, it does not look exactly like the one on the engine now. My current sensor has a two wired, two prong plug that plugs into the end of it. The ones matching the part number above have a screw top on them. Am I missing something here. Can someone with the proper refrences please look up this part and let me know the correct part number. Please and Thanks.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Re: Correct Part # for water temp sending unit.

Thats it ! Thanks so much for your assistance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The two wire sender is the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) for the ECM (yellow/black stripe and a black/orange striped wires)
The sender with the single Tan wire to it if the temp sender for you temp gauge.
The alarm switches have Tan/black stripped wires to them.

So which one is it that you are looking for?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Don, glad you brought that up. I need the unit that sends the information to the dash guage. Apparently I wrongfully assumed that the thermostat housing sensor was what I needed. Where is the dash guage sensor located on this engine?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Should be in the same general location. Front of the manifold or thermostat housing.

It will have a threaded terminal with a nut holding the wire on, Tan wire.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I will check on that when I get home, looking for the tan colored wire. Thanks guys.