Correct Paint for Transom

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After filling a number of holes, I will be painting the transom on my 14ft fiberglass, but do I use a bottom paint because part of the transom will be under water, or will a topside paint do? The boat will be used in saltwater only on weekends in the summer and then on a trailer when not in use. I want something readily available that can be brushed or rolled on. Interlux comes to mind, but which paint type, Thanks

zool

Captain
Re: Correct Paint for Transom

Since youre trailering it, you can use most any paint you want. For brushing and /or rolling (brush/tip), the marine specifics like Interlux/pettit/awlgrip ect hvae brushing thinners to help self level. Or you can just use Rustoleum alkyd based paint or such.

Bottom paint is a general term used for antifouling paint..which is used in a mooring slip application.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Zool has told you correctly!!! This might be of further help. It speaks of Majic Paint but Rustoleum or any other Brand of Oil Base Alkyd Enamel Paint will work just as well...

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

WOG, you seem to post about Majic Paint and Rustoleum paints a lot. How does those paints actually compare to polyurethane enamels bought in body shops and used with their hardeners?

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

John Deere Blitz black satin is one of the most best kept secrets for car chassis at $22 per gallon over a good epoxy paint. I have a lot of personal experience with it. There's something to be said for alkyd enamels. They're tough! But, I use 2k urethane because I...uh, I'm not sure...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Don't use "Thane's" so I can't speak to them. I'm an old codger that's always shot Enamel or Laquer. That's what we used in the 60's. I find for the DIY'er it's a good durable paint that will stand up to "Mild/Medium Abuse" fairly well. It's easy to do touch ups on and the Price is RIGHT!!!! I think that is important in th DIY world. That's the main reason I use it. Are there better paints...ABSOLUTELY. By adding the Hardener to the Enamel you're basically making it very similar to a 2 Part "THANE", IMHO and saving some money. For me, That's all that matters. I'm a COB at heart!!!:D

zool

Captain

WOG, you seem to post about Majic Paint and Rustoleum paints a lot. How does those paints actually compare to polyurethane enamels bought in body shops and used with their hardeners?

Pettit Easypoxy, dupont Imron and Interlux Brightside are polyurethane enamels...most auto paints are either acrylic enamels or acrylic urethanes.....the automotive AU's dont behave well with a brush...mostly spray only...they need to atomize