Corossion ??? WHAT TO DO?

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How concerned should I be about the corossion around the transom? inside & out. To me it is real light, but enough to be pitting, what if anything do you guys use to cover/coat it? IMG_1441 (768x1024).jpgIMG_1432 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1435 (768x1024).jpgIMG_1442 (768x1024).jpgIMG_1443 (768x1024).jpg

SORRY to start another thread but I havent had any responses in my rebuild thread! I just can't go as fast as some of you guys & work keeps me busy!

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Corossion ??? WHAT TO DO?

Hey Shade, looks like pretty common corrosion to me. Clean it up real good with a stainless steel brush, then check it again. Look for any real deep pitting that may go through the aluminum. Most of us just fill the pits with a smooth coat of JB weld, I say smooth because it is hard to sand.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Dozer said and a barrier coat of etching primer and Rustoleum just in case water gets between the transom AL and wood. An ounce of prevention and all that stuff.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dozer,
Crap.... Well, I was hoping not to use JB weld BC theres a number of areas where the pitting is at(nothing deep tho). It's not bad just more grunt work. LOL.

What Dozer said and a barrier coat of etching primer and Rustoleum just in case water gets between the transom AL and wood. An ounce of prevention and all that stuff.

Thanks GA, I did buy some Marine JB weld last wknd, so i guess I kinda knew sub-contiously thats what was going to have to happen,
I just happen to have 4 cans of rusto/etching primer and was wondering if that would add to the protection. But will do.

BTW, I got up this morning and was able to acid wash the whole hull inside, and it cleaned up great, even better that these pics. I used the same stuff they use to clean big rig fuel tanks & wheels, Got it from a local truck parts place. It's called, FLEET BRITE, premium aluminum brightner & cleaner, PM Products DT-201. that stuff is excellent but you better be protected head to toe & do small areas at a time as you only have about 2 minutes to wash it off(can't let it dry)

InMotion

Commander

ST - You could also smear a nice coat of 3M 5200 over the affected area. It will likely never come off and is really not sandable --- so make it as nice as can be. Really only for the areas that will not be seen. It will do a good job of sealing it up --- but best used where you do not have holes right through the hull. 5200 is also easier to "butter" on in MHO.

I agree with GA --- really, most older boats have this type of pitting --- so it really isn't uncommon!

J.

GA_Boater

I just happen to have 4 cans of rusto/etching primer and was wondering if that would add to the protection. But will do.

I would put some Rusto top coat over the primer, even spray bomb would work since it's going to be all covered . Primers are often kinda porous and don't seal the surface. They are just made to provide grip between the metal and paint. Long ago I had a '57 Chevy that was a rolling resto until a phone pole jumped out in front of me on an icy road. End of project. :mad: Anyway, I was stripping paint on weekends and putting primer over the bare metal. By the time I reached the other end of the car, surface rust was bleeding through the first primer coats. That's why I'm saying to put a top coat on.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Inmotion,
Thanks Thats an idea for the smaller places under the deck, I think i'll grunt the inside/outside of the transom will the marine JB weld Then etch prime & paint as GA suggest.

Thanks GA, I was also thinking paint over prime after you suggested the etch primer!!!
CLICK the link in my sig to see what a surprise i got from the PO today!

GA_Boater

I saw the PO present. It's nice he called you.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw the PO present. It's nice he called you.

Yes it was, I sure was happy, I'm surprised he kept my number this long! However in the purchase process, Just before the SC purchase I had come across 100 or so new arrows for bow hunting(and I'm not a hunter) that I got for free! and gave them to him as part of the deal. The guy was real nice & spent alot off time talking at the time off the deal and kept pulling out this & that for the boat.