copper waterpump tube alignment??? 88 50 hp force

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1988 c model 50 hp force o/b, when I took the lower off before the copper tube stayed attached to the waterpump tight so I did not have to adjust or turn the tube when reinstalling L/U. This time the copper tube came loose from the waterpump. I installed it and the L/U but now I have no water flowing. I am going to take L/U back off and double check the alighnment of the tube. Question is, how do I know the correct clocking of the copper tube? Or how do I install the copper tube so that I am sure it is connecting to the proper spots?

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: copper waterpump tube alignment??? 88 50 hp force

anyone on how to get the copper tube hooked up again?

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, looking at it again I can see that the copper tube is NOT suppose to stay attached to the water pump, but stay connected at the top of the copper tube. That being said it looks like mine broke loose or maybe even the tube itself broke right at the point it connects to the cast part(not sure of part it connects to, maybe powerhead itself??) anyways what are the chances I could find copper tubing to fit tight in tube(it would then fit in the broken end that is still attached up inside)epoxy the one end before I push it back up thru hole to connect to the other end???? comments??? suggestions???? does the power head have to come off to fix it correctly??? are there any other ways to fix this????

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You have to install the copper tube first in the bottom of the head.Try it and see which way it goes in best.
Once you get it in right push it up hard so it stays tight.Some glue on the OUTSIDE(just a touch of glue) of the tube??
Once you get it back together(lower unit in place) it will stay in place.J

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

If it was me i'd pop the powerhead off and replace the seal and install the water tube properly...it's really not that much work but that's just me. You might be able to get it back in with some lube and some upward twisting action with the water tube that is if you grab it with a tool that doesnt damage the lower water tube. The top piece of the water tube is flared to sit inside the upper seal so if it's flared then it isnt broken.