Cooling Water Gone

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 125hp 2002 mercury . it ran well last year I wintersize the boat and this year when i went to put it back i checked it out wiyh a set of muffs and no cooling water. I removed the discharge hose and ran ahose back through water came out of the intake.When the motor was running i could feel a pulse of air as if something was pumping but no water .My other motors are johnson so I don't much about mers.Is it the thermostat, water pump ?If it is this motor is bigger than in think i can fix. the others i can what is approx. cost to fix. and is it a big job.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cooling Water Gone

it's time for a new impeller, probably $300 my guess, $80 per hour, plus a $20 dollar part. these motor as with the johnsons. the pee stream is the last in the cooling cycle, no water not impeller pumping, no cooling. but because you have water doesn't mean it is cooling properly, as a thermostat can go bad, and not open, and you would still have the pee stream. the pee stream is only and indicator the the impeller is working.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Cooling Water Gone

Get a manual; the rebuild of the water pump is not a big operation. I would highly recommend learning how to do it, you can save big bucks having the knowledge.​