coolest thing you can drive

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Went to local Home depot this am and saw this motorcycle in the parking lot. Speedo went up to 275. shifter is on the floor between you legs. Some not to good pics. It's a 502 with 8200cc. looks like three people could sit on the bench seat on this thing. bike5.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike1.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: coolest thing you can drive

No offense, but I wouldn't be caught dead on that thing.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd rather be caught alive on that then in any state on a CanAm Spyder.

003238_Can-Am_Spyder_2008.jpg

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd love to see that thing hit anything over 100mph without crashing. Super ugly too. I thought the BossHoss was rediculous, this tops them.
I'd run him light-light with my 540i and kill it. Any real throttle input from a stop, assuming it even hooked up, would flip it in a heartbeat.
The old VW-powered trikes from the '80s are much nicer looking.
A good example of a vehicle with no fore-thought in it's production.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I look back on the vehicles that I considered the ultimate "cool ride" over the last 70 or so years and get a few chuckles.

Of course a vehicle could not be considered a cool ride unless it attracted a lot of positive attention from onlookers. . .no matter what a dangerous piece of junk it may really be. The three "coolest" I ever owned by that definition were a '58 Jag XK150S (a terrible car to try to maintain), a 1960 Mercedes 190SL (had corrosion holes in the rust) and a 1938 Ford coupe with a heavily modified and chromed 59AB Ford flathead with 4 carbs that were in synch for 15 or 20 minutes in the 2 years I fed her a gallon of premium for every 5 miles I drove.

Somewhere about 20-25 years ago I changed my view of what a truly "cool" ride is; switching to a vehicle that got a lot of positive attention from the old fart driving same. . . .me.

The coolest vehicles I have owned since then have been a MB ML430 and a Subaru Forester.

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I passed one of these about 5 years ago on a divided highway. It had a v8 engine like this one. I was watching in my mirrors cause it was interesting. Then I noticed the port side tire moving out at a pretty quick rate. Then the axle came out and the ride was on. He crossed the divided median and was barely able to keep it from oncoming traffic, got it stopped, and the person who was following him pulled over to help him out. It sorta looked like a test drive as someone was there to help him immediately. Could have been real bad.

TilliamWe

Banned

"coolest thing you can drive"

I don't have a motorcycle license, and even if I did, I don't consider too many of them "cool", so I'd have to say the "coolest" thing I am legally allowed to drive is a 200 series Griffin armored truck. Which I do every day that I go to work!

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i showed this pic to a buddy of mine that races at a semi local dragstrip. he said he has seen the guy there racing this. apprently he has a weight the hooks up front just behind the wheel on the bottom of the frame. he has been there when this thing was going over 150. your are right though its very hard for him to hook it up and when he does it does want to flip backwards because of the torque. but the guy told him on the open highway it really screams.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I thought you had a picture of my wife... :D

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I forget what those things are called. I used to see them on display at most of the bike rally's, but haven't seen them in a few years now.....For more fun, just get a Boss Hoss motorcycle with a 502.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

And people wonder whats wrong with our economy.....how much did he dump into this horrific project. Why did any state agency grant it a permit?

Turning radious on this must be a city block.....geez.

With that much power and weigh ratio the thing will either twist up the frame or wheelie to the point of flipping.

I had a 3 wheeler as a kid, 84 honda atc 125 with a fixed suspension (used the tires as shocks)....take a corner on that at any kind of speed and your on 2 wheels. Drive it on the pavement and the problem was twice as hairy.

My .02

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Saw a trike on the LIE this weekend. Cutting in and out of traffic, every time he hit a bump under throttle, the back tire would free-wheel in the air before coming back in contact with the pavement. His buddies on some rice rockets left him behind.

jtmarten

but the guy told him on the open highway it really screams.

Until he has to make a panic manuever to avoid an animal or debris in the road, then he's the one screamin' as he's being launched from it. LOL

I'll still take 150 in my 540i or on my ZX11; vehicles with suspensions, brakes and handling characteristics designed for that kind of sustained speed.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I kinda feel the same way about the modern choppers. Sure they look uber cool but geez, they look like they'd be a nightmare to handle if a problem walked out in front of them. In fact, about a month ago a nice orange one w/green flames dug a foot peg into the pavement while making a left turn at one of the busiest intersections in Memphis. Poor guy broke his ankle and made a mess of his ride. Me and another guy shielded him w/our trucks until we could get him out of the street. He was more concerned about his paint job than his ankle.:eek::D

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

And people wonder whats wrong with our economy.....how much did he dump into this horrific project. Why did any state agency grant it a permit?

Turning radious on this must be a city block.....geez.

With that much power and weigh ratio the thing will either twist up the frame or wheelie to the point of flipping.

I had a 3 wheeler as a kid, 84 honda atc 125 with a fixed suspension (used the tires as shocks)....take a corner on that at any kind of speed and your on 2 wheels. Drive it on the pavement and the problem was twice as hairy.

My .02

That isn't one guy's project. It is a commercially made trike...A Renegade...I don't see how buying an overpriced toy affects our economy in a negative way. Somebody made some good $$ building and selling that trike. As far as safety goes, I've seen them a good bit over the years riding around bike rallies. Never say one flipped over or twisted up from engine torque...It's no different than any other high powered machine, you gotta respect it.

http://www.renegadetrikes.com/rs5.html

tswiczko

I don't get it.

If you got a motor like that why wouldn't you just put it in a boat:cool:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I thought this was JB at first.
104962d1269483735-john-deere-trike-cid_3352085111_35556695.jpg

But he's not that heavy.