Coolers????????

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I have a cooler that goes out on weekends with us on lakes but to say I am disappointed would be an understatement.<br /><br />I would like to buy a cooler that can get iced down at 9am or earlier for fishing, and last all day. I am lucky to make it to 2pm with my current excuse. Any brands or models that you folks have had luck with.<br /><br />Live it up as long as you can live it down! :)

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Coolers????????

One of those "5 day" coolers works rather well. I have a friend who has one. 5 days might be streatching it, but it will definately keep cold for more than one. Don't recall what brand it is...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I've got a Coleman and a Thermos, Can get 3-4 full days out of them, if you do it right.<br /><br />Use your own homemade block ice, not cubes. Store bought ice is often only 20-25*, cubes have more surface area to melt, some block ice is made of scraps that are pressed into a block. Make your own in a deep freeze that is -5* or colder. Your cold homemade ice will last twice as long as the store bought stuff.<br /><br />Everything you add to the cooler, should already be cold, near freezing.<br /><br />Keep the cooler as full as possible, and don't open it if you don't need to.<br /><br />Keep a large bath/beach towel ( or a layer of newspapers) laying over the contents of the cooler, to keep the cold in when you lift the cover.<br /><br />Keep another light colored towel over the cooler.<br /><br />Place the cooler in the shade.<br /><br />Don't drain the water out of the cooler. That water is 32*, if you drain it, it will be replaced by warm air.<br /><br />Buy a cooler that has insulation everywhere. Some of them just have a hollow plastic lid.<br /><br />As a last resort, switch to drinking red wine or whisky straight up, no ice required. :) :p

ZmOz

Captain

I usually use 20oz frozen pop bottles...they last quite a while and are easy to make.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I have a coleman that is about 10 years old it does a great job.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have an "IGLOO Marine 128" that last summer in s. Georgia heat would still have ice in it on the fifth day.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I, too, have good results with Igloo Marine coolers.<br /><br />I now have an Igloo Ultra Cold 50 that is even better. I freeze a 1 gal milk jug. It will keep it cold for more than 5 days (there is still ice in the jug).<br /><br />If you pre-chill everything you put in there it will last a lot longer. When we bring walleye back to Texas from Canada we prefreeze the filets and load them up with the jug of ice and other pre-cooled stuff like soft drinks, etc.<br /><br />The filets are still frozen when we reach Texas, 2 days later.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Have the igloo 128 also and you can get them cheap$60.00 and that is cheap compared to going to a marine store!!!!<br />Keeps ice 4-5 days in the summer!!!<br />Can get the 128 at Costcos or a BJs

Bondo

Staff member

I Used to have 2 Big 120qt. Thermos Coolers, that doubled as Seating.........Paid Way Too Much for them(over $100.)........<br />1st year the Hinges,+ Latches Broke Off.........<br />Had to Jury-Rig them............<br /><br />3 years ago, I found the Monster Igloo Coolers at Sam's Club.... $50. odd dollars Each......<br />No Problems..........<br />Ice'em up on Saturday Morning(or Fri.nite).......<br />And, There's Still Ice on Sunday Night..........<br /><br />Oh Ya,.........<br />Latches,+ Hinges are a Much Better Design........<br />No Plastic Flexing, as part of the Design..........<br /><br />I'm convinced Igloo is the Brand to go too......

salty87

Commander

i like the ones with cup holders molded into the top, never can have enough cup holders around. <br /><br />also, make sure the lid doesn't just slap closed but has a slot to fit in. that makes a big difference. with the lid closed all the way, my (igloo, i think) with the molded-in cup holders will keep regular ice cubes frozen for at least 2 days.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I read a comparaison study on coolers somewhere. The Igloo is tops. I have a coleman, thermos, and a igloo. The Igloo is by far the best cooler in my opinion. I use the others for icing down my catch. :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Do you have the 'tropical' brand in the U.S.?<br /><br />Very expensive but I can keep block ice for up to 2 weeks using similar tactics to roscoe (minimum 5 days), and it gets damn hot around here. Got to train the kids to not hold the lid open and 'look' for 5 minutes before closing it again without taking anything out.<br /><br />Aldo

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Aldo,<br /><br />I did a Yahoo search on Coolers, Ice Chests, Tropical and I got a bunch of mixed drink suggestions and a sport bra sold by J.C. Penny.. :D <br /><br />Therefore, Igloo it is!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Try here:<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />I also have 2 igloo and they are great, but the tropical is better.<br /><br />Were's the link to the sports bra........<br /><br />Aldo

FSHKPR

Ensign

i have a 5 day rubbermaid on wheels.that i bought from walmart for 39 bucks. the ice in that thing lasts for ever. plus the wheels are on the wide end so it never tips over when pulling.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have one of those 5 day coolers. I forget the brand, but it does very well. Of course we use our ice packs, and sometimes put small bags of ice in from time to time as well. We use our small freg/freezer in the camper to refreeze the ice packs when on long camping trips.<br /><br />I think I will get a smaller one though. This large one takes up alot of room in the back of the boat. A 15' boat doesn't have much room in it for a large cooler.

mattttt25

Commander

go with $99 coleman with stainless finish. hands down the best cooler out there that i've seen. it's price has been steady at $99 (i've been watching for the last few years), which is probably because it works so well and people keep buying them. plus it looks so cool.

tylerin

Commander

go with $99 coleman with stainless finish
I own 2 of them and I agree they're pretty nice. Don't leave my cooler closed long enough to give you any accurate statistics ;)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

5 day cooler wouldn't do me much good. All that beer would make it too heavy to move. :D

Stratosfied

Ensign

Bought a cooler off of QVC from California Innovations that was a fabric type with two compartments which would keep ice on the beach all day. This is with constant going in/out. The dern thing burned up in the house fire and I found a similar one(same brand different design) at Walmart. POS will not keep ice for any length of time at all. The last I checked QVC still sold the original ones though. And I'm with Mr Ladyfish on the 5 dayers :eek: