Cool Barefooting Pics

sangerwaker

Commander
Was at the in-laws cabin in norhtern Wisconsin last weekend and my wife took this picture. She was sitting on the dock. I haven't seen a pic of my boat while in motion before, and I was really surprised how little spray it has. It's going 44 MPH with no trim (full down position) in the pic. I thought it was kinda cool.<br /><br />
2.JPG
<br /><br /><br />Here's one of our 7 year old boy learning on the boom. He's going about 20.<br /><br />
FileHandler.ashx

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Cool Barefooting Pics

sw,<br />Great pic.....cant quite see the smile on your face........but I'm sure it's there.

treedancer

Commander

Man you feet or putting out a bigger wake than the boat wild.

vipzach

Lieutenant

That is a cool pic!!!! I tried to go barefoot once, and I repeat once!!!! :eek:

eeboater

Commander

Sanger, can I ask how exactly you do barefoot skiing? I know how it works once you are up, but how do you get up? I can't imagine the surface area of your feet is big enough to allow you to get up, unless I'm completely wrong!<br /><br />Sean

vipzach

Lieutenant

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Sanger, can I ask how exactly you do barefoot skiing? I know how it works once you are up, but how do you get up? I can't imagine the surface area of your feet is big enough to allow you to get up, unless I'm completely wrong!<br /><br />Sean
I don't know how you are supposed to do it, but I tried in once by attempting to kick off my ski and then trying to go barefoot....it didn't go so well! :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can drag across the water on your body, roll to your backside, extend feet forward, lower them into water.<br /><br />Now, lets hear how the pro does it.

sangerwaker

Commander

There are many ways to start. <br /><br />First, you can step out of a slalom ski, as vipzach tried. Not a good method to try until you are experienced. Very low success rate and lots of pain if not done properly. Learn to barefoot and be able to ski on one foot before attempting this IMO.<br /><br />The most common method in my circles is a forward deepwater start. Lay on your back in the water, and put the toes of one foot on top of the rope while holding the handle at your waist. When the boat takes off, lean back and hold the handle at your hips. Ater about 2-3 seconds (depends on the acceleration), slowly sit up and ride on your butt. Wait for the boat to build enough speed and very slowly and gently set your feet onto the water. Then start applying pressure to them and stand up!<br /><br />Roscoe describes what is called a tumble up, and is actually quite difficult (IMO) behind the boat.<br /><br /> PLEASE do not attempt any of this without:<br />A) A barefoot suit<br />B) A competent instructor<br /><br />I highly recommend learning from an experienced barefooter with a boom. Most people who are inexperienced go too fast and injuries are common. Learn on the boom at a nice slow speed and progress to the point of going behind the boat.<br /><br />P.S. roscoe, I surely ain't no pro! I started way to late in life to ever achieve that status!

sangerwaker

Commander

Here's a link to another skiers site. Click on the "Learning to Barefoot" on the left side of the page. Terry did a great job setting up that site and the instructions are excellent.<br /><br /> http://www.frontiernet.net/~tdreyer/ <br /><br />There are some good pictures there to describe the starts in my post above.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The kneeboard is a great tool for learning to barefoot..<br /><br />I agree 100% with Sangerwaker... Learn on the boom first.. <br /><br /> http://www.utoronto.ca/ski/water/faq/bfbegin.html <br />"First, find yourself a wakeboard or a kneeboard and begin in<br />the water sitting on the board with your feet directly in front of you.<br />Begin a slow acceleration until the board begins to plane. At this<br />point, slide as far forward on the board as you can without digging<br />the tip --this will prevent the board from bouncing and you falling off!<br />You should now be sitting on the board with your arms straight, head<br />up, feet in front but not on the water and boat speed should be about<br />15 mph. Now bend your knees up to your chest and set your feet on the<br />water--- do not try to stand or push your feet in front, just set them<br />on the water. Now the boat should begin a constant, moderate<br />acceleration up to your barefoot speed. As the boat gains speed,<br />slowly apply more weight to your feet and rise up into barefoot<br />position. The board will naturally fall behind leaving you on your feet."

aspeck

Staff member

Using a knee board was the only way I could stay up for more than 50 feet! Tried all the other methods and got some serious face plants! Thought I broke my back at one point. It was fun but I never mastered it. Settled for the slolam, trick ski, and knee board action. But than that was before I got old and real fat!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

nice, smooth ride in that boat!!!

brother chris

Commander

Nice picture. <br />My boat is much the same. I can go 33mph and have very little wake. Probably the same amount you throw off. No barefootin with my boat though. Not enough nerves yet. :rolleyes:

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

PLEASE do not attempt any of this without:<br />A) A barefoot suit<br />B) A competent instructor
uhhhhhh, Sanger you left out (C) Being INSANE .... :D <br /><br />Had God meant for us to barefoot, we'd a never invented a slalom.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

eeboater,sounds like treedancer is saying sangerwakers feet are bigger than his boat?

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

eeboater,sounds like treedancer is saying sangerwakers feet are bigger than his boat? ,,,,,,,,,Just kidding....

sangerwaker

Commander

You callin me nuts, Wotknot? :D :D I guess I am a little bit. And phooey on the slalom comment. You don't need one to barefoot. :p <br /><br />JW, my feet are only size 11. If my feet were as large as my boat, I'd have women crawling all over me! :p :D

KaGee

Admiral

Man, that bimini looks like a parasail! Lift off at any moment! :p :D