Cooking.....Ever take a class?

JRJ

Commander
An add in todays paper: Barbecue grilling and smoke cooking: 10am to 3pm April 23; $17 for a 5-hour workshop and $20 materials fee for meat and supplies. Wife says GO!, that can't be a good sign :D can it?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cooking.....Ever take a class?

GO!! That is a good sign.

brother chris

Commander

I took home economics in high school. I just wanted to go for the cooking, but half way through the semester, we had to do sewing and other weird things. <br />I got harrassed by all my friends cause I was taking home economics, but after letting them know that I was the ONLY guy in the class, all my friends wanted to take it. <br />Hilarious!

dolluper

Captain

I get a lesson everytime I open a can ,the instructions are on the label Empty contents add water bring to boil place in bowl or other container then eat Man it's easy :D :D

one more cast

Captain

There is always room in your brain to learn a new thing or two.....Then you can pass it on to us. :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cooking is one of my favorite things to do. Grilling is particularly one of my favorite ways to cook... I keep a picture of my grill (her name is Sparky) on my desk at work, and some of my good friends have nicknamed me "Grill" because of it. :) <br /><br />Go for it. You'll have a good time!

JRJ

Commander

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm sure I will learn something good to pass along. <br /><br />dolluper, sometimes the directions on the can are messed up after I get done with the hammer and chisel...

dolluper

Captain

I got me one of them new fangled e lectrick can openers so I aint got that problem :D

D

DJ

School of: "hard knocks".<br /><br />Cook or die.

LadyFish

Admiral

I think its really great when men take an interest in cooking, especially when to comes to making entire meals. I love to cook myself, and my kitchen is my laboratory so to speak (no comments Mr. LF). Those of you who have never cooked its not as intimidating as it might seem.<br /><br />You're a good man in the eyes of us women if you partake in creating food for a crowd. For examples, crawfish boils, BBQ's, fish frys. Now if y'all could just learn how to make side dishes.<br /><br />Cooking lessons is a 'good thing', my friend Martha said so. ;)

D

DJ

and my kitchen is my laboratory
GULP! ;) :D <br /><br />Same here.<br /><br />Advice to many, experiment, on yourself, not others. Believe it or not, there are some awesome recipes, in books. :eek:

one more cast

Captain

posted by LF<br />
Now if y'all could just learn how to make side dishes.<br />
Ladyfish, for your information I make this killer baby spinach,walnut and blue cheese salad with warm maple syrup, oil and vinegar dressing also last night I cut up zucchini and yellow squash, sautéed them in olive oil and butter,added steak seasoning,Italian seasoning and grated Parmesan cheese and they were yummy So there,take that! :D

dolluper

Captain

What size should those pieces of book be? :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I am IMPRESSED OMC. I do think there are quite a few men in here that enjoy cooking and for those of you that don't take notes. :D

one more cast

Captain

The winters are long and I have lots of time so I watch all the cooking shows on foodnetwork.com<br /> Sandra Lee is a Hottie! ;)

ehenry

Commander

I'm more of a soul food cook. The classics...peas, butter beans, greens-n-roots, taters-n-carrots in good brown gravy, smashed taters, chicken-n-dumplins. Those enough side dishes for you Ms LadyFish??? Do I need to list a few more? OH!!!! I make my own cornbread too and it dont come out of a Jiffymix box either!!! Comes out of a Martha White corn meal sack, 2 eggs, a dabb of sugar, buttermilk. Mix that all up and after you got your skillet hot and smokin with the bacon drippins you're suppose to save, all good southern cooks know you save all manner of bacon drippings, you pour the hot drippings in the batter and stir it in then pour the batter in the skillet and put it in the 425 degree oven and let it go for about 25 to 35 minutes depending on how big your skillet is. SO THERE ! ! ! Take THAT ! !

LadyFish

Admiral

Actually, I use Martha White also, and ocassionally Pioneer EF. Sounds to me like some woman taught you right. :p I cook mine in a cast iron skillet smokin hot with bacon drippins too. A southerner had to show me how to do it 'right'. <br /><br />Its my expereince that most southern men are excellent cooks all the way around. OMC, you must have been an OCAB in another life. :p

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> The winters are long and I have lots of time so I watch all the cooking shows on foodnetwork.com<br /> Sandra Lee is a Hottie! ;)
Oh man.. all I got is PBS and the only thing hot there is the grill ;) <br />But I still enjoy watching the cooking shows :D

ehenry

Commander

Actually, Ms Ladyfish, my mamma is an excellent cook but I learned most of the things I know from my granmamma, grandaddy and the lady that use come to the house to keep me when I was little, Ms Georgia Brown. NOW, that woman could cook. She could put a tire in the oven and make it edible!

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

kitchen is my laboratory
I think some of the experiments are done. Time to clean the petrie dishes out of the fridge. :D