convince me to get or not get an I/O over an outboard.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Saying that outboards are purpose built for marine use and I/O's are marinized auto engines isn't always true... There are several outboards running automotive engines and I know of at least one I/O that was marine only.... Besides, an engine is an engine as long as it has the right components for marine use there's no problem with converting from turning tires to turning a prop.

thumpar

Admiral
I have never understood why people think you loose so much space with an I/O. Instead of a splashwell you get a doghouse they take up about the same space. With an I/O you get a full clean rear end with no blob on the back. On mine I also have a sundeck with storage under it with a platform off the back.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can easily see benefits to each. But it really depends on the size of the boat. If you have a bad O/B, you can remove it and replace or rebuilt without much issue. If you have a problem with an I/O you have a much harder time removing everything to either rebuild or replace. So a toss up depending what you want. I once thought about a neat bass type boat with a I/O engine. But the more I read the comments on these forums, the less I think that is a good idea. I honestly can't believe the number of cracked engine blocks I read on here with I/O's throughout the year... Early spring will bring the numbers up real fast as folks turn their attentions to getting their boats ready for the water and find out their I/O engines are broken from not winterizing them correctly... JMHO!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I/O need more maintenance than OBs. Std replacement items on I/O, that are unique from OBs are circulation pumps, manifolds, risers, gimbal bearings, U-joints, driveshaft/shiftshaft/exhaust bellows, water hoses and fan belts.

They also have all the same maintenance items as outboards, such as impellers, thermostats, spark plugs, gearoil, filters etc.

Also, it seems like I/Os need to have replacement starters, alternators, solenoids and the other stuff we used to replace on 70's American cars. Not sure why.

In salt water, the maintenance items need more often replacement. OBs are easier to trailer due to lighter weight. OBs are easier to work on, on a trailer. I/Os are easier to work on, in the water.

On the plus side, I/Os get better fuel economy than 2 cycle carb outboards. That may not be a factor, if you compare an I/O to a 4 cycle or DI outboard.

One more thing, if you keep the I/O boat in a salt water slip, be prepared for oil filters, timing covers and oil pans to rust thru. It will take a few years, but it happens.

Not sure about you, but I don't enjoy working on any motor as much as I used to.