convince me to get or not get an I/O over an outboard.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only boat I've owned was an outboard deck boat (15 years). Sold it a few years ago and looking to get a newer deck boat. Looking at used 4 stroke deck boats like Hurricane. Problem is there are not very many of them for sale in the Houston area. Seems most boats are I/O. I'll be doing all maintenance and repairs. Looking at opinions on people that have had both I/O and outboards and which they prefer.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I think the O/B vs I/O is a personal preference. I've owned one OB, never again. Give me sterndrive or give me death!......LOL

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's personal preference really the I os are nice though cuz I don't have to maneuver around a motor when crawling in and out of my boat from the back their also nice for watersports as you don't have to use a bridle you can normally mount right to a tow hook

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
O/B all the way...I/O are OK when NEW, then they become money pits as they age. Looking for a new deck boat....Bayliner has the Element and the DB190

Tnstratofam

Commander
We have an outboard on our Starcraft. We use it for fishing although it could double as a ski boat in a pinch. We have a V8 stern drive on our Stratos and it is our ski/run around the lake boat. The plus of the outboard is it is a little easier to work on especially winterizing. It is also easier to swap for a repower. The plus of the stern drive is it allows for a usable swim platform as well as a sun pad in the stern for the Admiral. It is also a quieter ride over the outboard. I like them both and feel they both have their place. If it's a pleasure boat you're thinking of I vote for a stern drive. If it's a fishing/pleasure boat then my vote would probably be outboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to convince yourself. I have both OB and I/O boats. both specifically setup for their intended uses. as far as one being a money pit over another, that is also subjective.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you even need to winterize a boat in Houston? Even if you do, it's not as hard as some folks make it out to be to winterize an I/O sterndrive. Light freezes you can protect the engine with a simple light bulb in the bilge. If you're into water sports and just cruising, I vote I/O. If you plan on fishing mostly, go with an outboard on a very open hull layout.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my biggest concern is the outdrive having issues since I will be looking at used boats. Is it that common? Is the cost to replace relatively inexpensive if doing it yourself? Are my fears overblown compared to issues with outboards?

Tnstratofam

Commander
I swapped the lower unit to my 75 hp outboard by myself. I'm pretty sure I could change the outdrive to my I/O by myself if I had a lift. Whichever you choose, like anything boat related, it has the potential to be expensive to repair.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
The outdrive is essentially the lower half of an outboard motor. I can pull mine in 20 minutes, not a problem. Parts on the other hand, can be expensive with either unit. I would stay away from the older OMC stuff, as the parts will eventually become harder to find.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
With an i/o you loose a bit of seating space do to the engine compartment and their is less room to work on the engine as it inside a "doghouse" and you gotta do the work on your belly the outdrive needs special attention greasing and what not but you do get cleaner lines

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Outboard all the way. More room and easy to work on.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Soooooo in a nutshell.... Don't over think it...

You absolutely aren't gonna get a consensus here.

Both do the job just fine, forget maintenance... It's a wash....

Pick the boat that FEELS right and then bring it here for us to critique before you buy.

Condition is much more important than I/O vs outboard vs inboard vs mr fusion/flux capacitor.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
The nail has just been hit on the head!!!!:smash: No use kicking a dead horse. :deadhorse:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Never owned an I/O but here are some things to think about. Winterizing to avoid freezing much more involved.Not done right could cost a motor.
I believe they have two pumps that at some point will need replacement. There is a Gimble bearing? and a coupler that need service and/or replacement, I/Os are heavy,take up space,there are gears in the top end and in the gear case.Universal joints require service and replacement. There are various rubber
seals or boots and sleeves to keep out water. Need to aware of their condition as the boat could sink if they were to fail.
There are rubber hopes for cooling and exhaust that if fail could sink the boat. It's a stretch but older boats could have fragile rubber components.
With an outboard you have a choice of 4 stroke or 2 stroke.Outboards are purpose built for marine service.
I/Os are "automotive" built that are marineized.
Winterizing an outboard could be as simple as changing the gear lube and leaving the motor vertical to be sure it drains.
Fogging and or changing plugs etc. would be required for both systems.

airshot

Rear Admiral
OK well this has been hashed over pretty good but I will add my two cents worth. I have been a boater for 50 yrs, mostly outboards on smaller boats. OB were great, easy to work on but replacement parts are quite expensive, my last OB cost 235.00 for an enrichment solenoid (choke), same thing on an I/O was 25.00. Now that I have a larger boat I prefer the I/O, but I can do most all the maintenence myself. Yes the I/O is more work to winterize but easier to make repairs and parts are cheaper. If going small (under 100 hp) consider an OB, if going bigger then consider the I/O. Fuel economy will be much better in the I/O, but performance would be better in same size OB. Here is the real consideration......what if you have to replace (repower) your boat?? My 140 hp new in crate from Mercruiser is about 7000.00, now go price a new in crate 140hp OB......OB will cost about half again or more than the I/O, probably around 10,000.00 or more. Yes the laboe will be more to swap the I/O than an OB but not equal the total cost. As stated my many others it comes down to a personal preference, in my case small boat go with OB but if looking at a motor over 200 hp then I would definetly go I/O. Just some food for thought!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I can rebuild an SBC for $1500, and a BBC for about $2k. You can't touch a 300hp outboard for 3x that. Again it is all subjective. As for a 3.0, it costs more to rebuild than it would to find a low hour replacement