Convertible top that starts at the bow ? Factory original? Photos !!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
This boat is for sale near me. Appears to be an early 70's 18' Mariner center console.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/boa/2581566847.html

I would consider viewing/buying it, but I already have an 18 SS, 16 SS, and just bought the 18 Mariner below.

1111w.jpg

So, question is, is this front convertible top factory? Ever seen one before?

Might consider doing something like this for mine. Wish I could buy it without buying another boat.

18frontshield.jpg18frontshield2.jpg

64osby

Admiral
Re: Convertible top that starts at the bow ? Factory original? Photos !!

Roscoe, Yes I'm pretty sure that is part of a factory convertible top. I have this on my Mariner 21 along with the original bimini. There are zippers on both and it appears they would allow panels to be installed to fill the space between and also side and rear panels to form a full enclosure. I would love to find the full setup but I'm sure that most of have been tossed - long ago rotted away

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

cool, thanks

chriscraft254

Commander

There usually called dodgers. There great for keeping things dry up front and can help cut the wind. But you can't really see over it good.

64osby

Admiral

There usually called dodgers. There great for keeping things dry up front and can help cut the wind. But you can't really see over it good.

cc254 - Dodgers - I looked it up - a canvas screen on a ship or yacht to protect the person at the helm from spray.

Maybe you should win an iboats gift certificate for that.;)

With mine, I have to keep a bungee cord on it to keep it from popping up at higher speeds or trailering.

I use mine for a shade area when mooring or to keep the rain and dew off if the boat is not covered.

There is a clear plastic window in it that at least with mine is hard to see through, dirty and fuzzy. Add to that the old cc glass and it is not safe to see at all when seated at the helm. I am tall and when standing I can see over it when at low speeds or over plane.

Is there a recommended cleaning method for the clear plastic window?

chriscraft254

Commander

Only one I ever had was on a 19 ft mako, it had snaps at the front and when folded down it had to straps that were bungee like to hold it down while under way. The glass if old, probably just needs to be replaced by a vinyl shop. You can try and spray some furniture wax on it and buff it out. I had a jeep and use to use pledge all the time to keep the vinyl windows clean. I'll take that gift certificate now! :D
cc254 - Dodgers - I looked it up - a canvas screen on a ship or yacht to protect the person at the helm from spray.

Maybe you should win an iboats gift certificate for that.;)

With mine, I have to keep a bungee cord on it to keep it from popping up at higher speeds or trailering.

I use mine for a shade area when mooring or to keep the rain and dew off if the boat is not covered.

There is a clear plastic window in it that at least with mine is hard to see through, dirty and fuzzy. Add to that the old cc glass and it is not safe to see at all when seated at the helm. I am tall and when standing I can see over it when at low speeds or over plane.

Is there a recommended cleaning method for the clear plastic window?