Convert to electric start

Paulch39

Recruit
Hi I have what I believe to be a 1970 Evinrude 18hp outboard I want to convert to an electric start I will load some pics I need to know what starter would fit and if I would need anything else other than a solenoid and starter. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo311851.jpg
    photo311851.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Starters from the 22 cubic inch family 18 / 20 / 25 HP from 58 to 1976 will fit.----The bracket / starter / solenoid and every day wiring is what you need.-----Lots left the factory as electric start.----Donor motor is best way to go.-----Beware of E-bay sellers who say that all starters they have will fit !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Beats me where all the used starter brackets are coming from. Lots of people are looking for them.

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3oo plus for a new one and over 2 for a used one if you can find them. there's 2 on ebay now.be careful, most of the brackets look the same but they're not, i believe the cut off year is 76 for those engines. find yourself a parts engine with the electric start and get your bracket and hav a spare parts engine.the pn you need is [h=1]0126256[/h]

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
usually cheaper to sell what you have and buy what you need

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Location , patience and shopping ability has a lot to do with finding a donor motor or parts.----Found one at a shop , tossed into the dumpster.----Electric start and all.------Took it out and took it home for my most liked price.---If you want your pieces right away you just need lots of coins for E-Bay vendors.