Convert pull start to electric

dpropson

Seaman
I'm looking at a '66 Chrysler, 35 hp with pull start. I want to convert it to electric. Can someone explain how difficult this might be for a non marine mechanic? Also, are there any good sources for old Chrysler parts; starter, flywheel, etc.<br /><br />Dennis

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Convert pull start to electric

I dont think that motor is worth all that <br />investment in time and money.Unless you hope to restore it as a collector motor.<br />Most motors need a starter,flywheel or ring gear, charging circuit,battery and proper wiring,switches and solinoids.<br /> I think you will be happier with a E/J,Merc or<br />other more common motor with ample parts sources.<br />and allready electric start.

dpropson

Seaman

Thanks Spike.<br /><br />So I guess it's not as easy as bolting it to the motor, engaging it with the flywheel and running it to a battery?<br /><br />I thought it would be a reasonably easy and inexpensive process. Not so, eh?

sloopy

Commander

if your creative you can do it, just look for a starter that will fit! for the alternator, if your up to it just make the flywheel spin a belt that spins the alternator :) it can be hard thought........