convert from Alpha 1 to Bravo III

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello to all,
I have an 89 Sea Ray 220DA-Sundancer. She has a 5.7 mercruiser with Alpha 1 outdrive. Thinking of installing a Bravo III. Is this possible with the existing engine? Is there enough benefit to justify cost? I'm looking for better hole shot and top end. I'm running a Stiletto SS 14.5x17 top end is about 38-40 mph with the wife kids full fuel, no h2o and the perverbial kitchen sink.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: convert from Alpha 1 to Bravo III

You'd need to change the transom plates and some components on the engine. If you want to improve 'hole-shot' you'd do better by looking at the prop, or unloading some of the 'excess baggage'. Let us know what prop you're currently running and we could make some suggestions, or go to Mercury's website and navigate to the propeller selector page and do the numbers yourself.

"http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=126,48417&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Chris...........

Last edited by a moderator:

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Convert Alpha 1 to Bravo III

Convert Alpha 1 to Bravo III

:rolleyes:Hello to all, I have an 89 Sea Ray 220 Sundancer with a Mercruiser 5.7L and Alpha 1 outdrive with Stiletto SS 14.5x 17 prop. Can I remove Alpha 1 and replace with Bravo III? I was looking for better lower and top end performance. Presently she will do 38-40 mph loaded with fuel,2 kids, wife, no h2o and the perverbial kitchen sink. Is this cost effective? What else would I have to do like replave power steering pump, shifter cable, etc?
Thank you for opinions.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm running a Stiletto 14.5 x 17 S prop. I feel this is a good balance to low end/top end performance. I'm not pulling skiers - yet but got 2 boys and that could change in a heart beat. I'm also running at 2,000 field elevation ( Phoenix Az). I'm contemplating on going to Lake Powell this summer (3,200' elev).Thanks for your quick reply!!!!!!!!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Convert Alpha 1 to Bravo III

Yes you can.

you'll have to replace the drive, gimbal and transom plate. You'll have to pull the engine, drive and gimbal (everything) to do it.

You will not get any more speed out of a Bravo III though and it may be about 3-5 mph slower in some installations.

I replaced a 340hp OMC King Cobra with a 330 hp 454 Bravo III.

I recently took my brother out in the boat (he bought it new) and he said it goes like it was "new". It goes about the same speed as it went before.

While you might like the hole shot and slow speed/reverse handling you would spend a small fortune doing it.

You would also have to get a raw water pump, bracket and plumbing (your raw pump is in the drive) and you'd also probably have to replace the shift plate since the shifting arraignment is slightly different. (no shift interrupt etc)

There's other minor stuff. power steering and trim (pump) etc are the same.

IMHO. not worth it.

Regards,

Rick

:rolleyes:Hello to all, I have an 89 Sea Ray 220 Sundancer with a Mercruiser 5.7L and Alpha 1 outdrive with Stiletto SS 14.5x 17 prop. Can I remove Alpha 1 and replace with Bravo III? I was looking for better lower and top end performance. Presently she will do 38-40 mph loaded with fuel,2 kids, wife, no h2o and the perverbial kitchen sink. Is this cost effective? What else would I have to do like replave power steering pump, shifter cable, etc?
Thank you for opinions.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Oh by the way,

I'll add that you would get pretty good performance if you did the same thing I did.

That is, I found a complete 1997 454, Bravo III package for about $5k. I swapped the whole mess out to get rid of the wonderful high tech OMC (boat anchor) .... That combo would probably push your boat (which is about the same weight as my Liberator) to about 50-55 mph.

I was very lucky. I found this combo on craigslist after the guy had a 150' tree fall on his boat.

They're out there.

Your best bet though would be to just find a different boat equipped the way you want it.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, that's what I was thinking would be the best bet- that is to get what I want already set up. See now I have a third neutral opinion for an excuse to get a new boat for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for you input though, it does come in useful.