ScottieinNC

Seaman
So this is my boat:

bayliner2.jpg

Express Cruiser

and I want to convert it to this:

Bayliner_hard_top_profile.jpg

Hard Top pilot house Cruiser

I believe the hull shapes and flat glass areas are the same, these models are only finished different. My canvas is shot and I am tired of worry with putting it up and down. We do regular trips to 20 miles out in the ocean and need better protection from spray, rain, etc.

I can do the fiberglass for the top, my worry is fabricating windows for this.

I don't want to hear any Bayliner quibble, this boat is sound, engine is great and outdrive only a few years old. I have made many small mods and decided i will be keeping this boat for a while as it is our all around, fish, ski, tube, cruise, do whatever boat and we all enjoy it very much.

I want to build more fishing features into it and I'll show you why.......
Scott_King_10_22_06.jpg

Chris_King_10_22_06.jpg

Any suggestions? How would you go about a project like this?
Thanks,
Scott

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Re: Convert Express Ccruiser to PilotHouse

Fish pics were from a camera phone...sorry for bad quality.

Bondo

Staff member

I did Mind in Aluminum,+ Canvas,...........

f14154.jpg

It's as Warm,+ Dry as can Be.......

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hard to tell for sure but is the rake of your current windshield a little more pronounced? I only ask as you may not have to do more than fabricate wide windows.

If you need the entire works replaced to get more headroom or more structural strength you might consider talking to a custom home window fabricating company. Probably wouldn't be cheap, but, who knows?

The other option is to contact Bayliner and see if you can order the window assembly for the pilot house model. Again, probably not cheap.

Yet another idea would be to haunt a place like boneyardboats.com to see if maybe you could salvage something with close enough dimensions.

Good luck -- she looks smart in that pilothouse config.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think your going to get some experience in extruded aluminum. all the glass and framing looks to be straight pieces. very possible you might find some mobile home sliding windows for the sides,the reason i say mobile home, is there frame is not as thick as a house window. just having to fabricate the triangular glass, from lexan, it doesn't look like a hard job, just a lot of preplanning and triple measurements. i would want to get some ventilation in there, like have the windows open so they would slide section would move to the stearn. also easier for the captain to communicate with the crew on the foredeck, of dock. good luck

tommays

Admiral

If that is the 222 classic that it looks like the Hardtop was a factory Option for around 2200 dollars

Tommays

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Re: Convert Express Cruiser to PilotHouse

scoutabout said:
Hard to tell for sure but is the rake of your current windshield a little more pronounced? I only ask as you may not have to do more than fabricate wide windows.

If you need the entire works replaced to get more headroom or more structural strength you might consider talking to a custom home window fabricating company. Probably wouldn't be cheap, but, who knows?

The other option is to contact Bayliner and see if you can order the window assembly for the pilot house model. Again, probably not cheap.

Yet another idea would be to haunt a place like boneyardboats.com to see if maybe you could salvage something with close enough dimensions.

Good luck -- she looks smart in that pilothouse config.

Yes, my windshield rake is on more of an angle. just looking at pics of the hard top online, it looks like I could simply take off the side angled windows, and stand the front three up a little more, but I would want some ventilation and some way of communicating as the other member pointed out.

Extruded aluminum...hmmm....methinks I could find the appropriate shape and cut/weld myself? The side ledge width the windows would set on is right at 2" so there is plenty of width there. I can access most of the undersides of everything to facilitate thru-bolting of frames. My next issue is strength.
I don't plan on being able to walk on the top of this, but rather have a place for antennas, spotlight, etc.

Would an extruded aluminum frame be able to support the weight of the fiberglass top? I am projecting the weight of the top to be less than 50 lbs (I hope) but I don't want anything too wiggly around me either.

Keep the comments coming everyone!

I will try contacting Bayliner too....good idea!

tashasdaddy

i feel 1 1/2 or 2" square aluminum would be all that is necessary. if you have the welding skills. be sure to put reinforcement in the top. you could actually run a piece of aluminum across the stearn of the windows for additional support and bracing. this would tie it all together. if still too shakey, you could angle brace it . you could also run a piece across to thru bolt antennas and extras on.

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Thanks tashasdaddy!

I will be making the top myself with fiberglass using divinycell foam core to keep weight down, be structurally strong, and not crush when antennas, etc are put on. I will brace anywhere there is concern.

I have friends with tig and heliarc welders, so i'm sure I can get this welded. I have access to a small welder, various pieces of steel and may mock up some parts in steel to get the fitment just right, then copy over to aluminum.

What alloy of AL would be good? 6061? What thickness 1/8"?

tashasdaddy

i don't know which alloy. i'm a woodman. with aluminum boats.

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Did some quick research. looks like 6063 would be a good all-around choice. I know someone who has some and I may practice with it this weekend to see what I can do.
Have to test the skills first!

Thanks!

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or you can try a glass shop.My brothers shop does all the glass work including structure for Steiger Craft. Not as cheap as doing it yourself but you never know.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How about contacting Bayliner and get prices on the hard top parts? I'm sure your local Bayliner dealer can do that for you. Should be a direct bolt on.

Another option is contacting the boat salvage yards and see if there are any hard top Bayliners that you can salvage the top from.

You can offset the expense by selling your cruiser windshield on e-bay. Probably get a few hundred for it in good condition.

If you can't do any of the above, then going to a Bayliner dealer and taking detailed photos of a hard top and measure the dimensions of the glass and sizes of aluminum so you can build a decent replica of the factory top.

I like that Bayliner hard top. Spent a lot of time in one at a boat show. They had to toss me overboard to close for the evening 8)

Oh... How about buying a used hard top, take the top off, put your windshield on it, and sell it?

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Hey Captain.....great suggestions. Do you (or anyone else) know of any boat salvage yards? I look online and come up pretty much empty handed. The few I did find do not list anything I'm interested in. I'm in a small town in NC and we don't have anything like that here.

I'll even take a list of names and phone numbers and do it the good old fashioned way to see about these parts.

A sunk or partially destroyed boat would be ideal I guess. Not wishing any bad fortune on anyone, but does anyone on the board know where an old 2252 Ciera with the Hard top option can be had for parts?

Thanks! :p

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Do a yahoo search on "boat liquidators" and "hurricane salvage" etc. Some of the results are:

www.yachtsalvage.com/

www.usauctions.com/

www.yachtauctions.com/

Then there are places like Lanier Boat Liquidators in GA.

Just do a little searching on the right terms and you will find quite a few.

Lucky you living in NC (one of my favorite places - the outer banks), there should lots of liquidators (aka salvage) places around. Those waters are full of sunken and storm damaged boats!

BTW there are a few long time members on these forums in NC. Maybe they will pop in and give you some references.