Anyone proficient casting one of these?
This particular reel is an Ambassadeur 6500CT Chrome Rocket

Attachments

• IMG_0608 (2).jpg
    IMG_0608 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

alldodge

Staff member
My Aunt use to use the Ambassador reels (60's) all the time. I never got the hang of it and always had a rats nest now and then. The guy on this vid seems to know what he's talking about. Speed thru half way to get to adjustment and casting

MRS

Commander
Oh yea my favorite type of reels for big fish and heavy lure's plus I love the big round reels instead of those low profile kind. I guess the round one's fit my fat thumb better than those low profile one's. :D
That is a good looking reel you got there....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The guy on this vid seems to know what he's talking about. Speed thru half way to get to adjustment and casting
You see his method of adjusted parroted all the time but I strongly disagree.

Using the knobs to control spool tension not only compromises distance by increasing free spool friction, it also puts excessive preload on the bearings shortening life expectancy.

Abu uses multiple bearing and spool configurations. Spool adjustment is a bit different for each but generally speaking, the knobs on the side plates are only used to center the spool, if applicable, and to adjust the end play (side to side movement) of the spool. End play should be roughly 0.005” Slight knock when spool is moved side to side

Managing spool momentum (over runs) is done using a combination of oil viscosity (bearings) brakes blocks and magnetic braking if so equipped.

Reactions: MRS

topgun3690

Ensign
"You see his method of adjusted parroted all the time but I strongly disagree." His method of adjusting the braking works well for the beginner who would not otherwise be able to cast without building "bird nests" on every cast. That is what the brake system is for....after a while you rely more on your thumb to control the overrun.....but something has to control the spool as line is being released during a cast or it will overrun every time.

MRS

Commander
I rely on my fat thumb with the spool a little looser than normal lure falls real quick if I take thumb off the spool. Never remove my thumb from the spool.

topgun3690

Ensign
I rely on my fat thumb with the spool a little looser than normal lure falls real quick if I take thumb off the spool. Never remove my thumb from the spool.
You got it.....somebody who is having trouble casting with a bait-caster should probably get a spinning reel...the spool doesn't move, so no overrun...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
His method of adjusting the braking works well
He is side loading (distorting) the spool shaft to create friction.
Not a good thing, could even damage reels with spool mounted bearings.

You would be much farther ahead to start out with a full compliment of brakes blocks, if need be, and work your way down

topgun3690

Ensign
"For maximum casting distance and minimal tendency of line over run, it is necessary to also adjust the tension knob to match the weight of the lure and angler preference. How to Adjust the Tension Knob: With the rod-reel-line-lure properly assembled, place the tip of the thumb on the line to hold the spool. Depending on model, depress the thumb bar or push button with the pad of your thumb to disengage the gear. Allow the lure to drop to the ground. If the lure does not fall when the thumb bar is depressed, turn the mechanical brake knob counterclockwise to reduce tension on the spool. If the lure falls to the ground and the spool continues to rotate, the mechanical brake is too loose. Adjust accordingly." This is from Abu Garcia for their round baitcasting reels. They have an internal centrifugal brake system also, the tension knob is for fine tuning the braking for different weights of the lures being thrown. Don't think they would design a reel that would be damaged by using their own tension knob design.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Don't think they would design a reel that would be damaged by using their own tension knob design.
Well, they do...lol .
As noted earlier, Abu uses a number of bearing and spool configurations. Each are tuned and controlled differently.

The reel I posted above has an Ultracast spool. The knobs on the ends of the spool are used to center the spool in the frame. They have no effect on spool tension whatsoever

Here is some information

topgun3690

Ensign
" The knobs on the ends of the spool are used to center the spool in the frame. They have no effect on spool tension whatsoever." Agreed.....however the tension knob on your basic baitcaster has no effect on spool centering as most spools are in a fixed position. It is used for adjusting the braking action to account for different lure weights only. So I believe the gentleman in the video was doing it "by the book", the Abu Garcia book....Lol Interesting read on the Ultracast system though.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
" The knobs on the ends of the spool are used to center the spool in the frame. They have no effect on spool tension whatsoever." Agreed.....however the tension knob on your basic baitcaster has no effect on spool centering as most spools are in a fixed position. It is used for adjusting the braking action to account for different lure weights only. So I believe the gentleman in the video was doing it "by the book", the Abu Garcia book....Lol Interesting read on

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Been casting those reels for 60 plus years. For me it’s all about the thumb on the spool. Once you get the hang of it you can cast a long distance without tangles and bird nests. When I was younger I never even knew about the adjustments on the reel to control the spool. I just learned how and when and how much pressure to apply with my thumb. Now a days I mostly use spinning reels but I can still cast the other a mile without problem.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just for the record, it is not called bird's nest to those that use them. It is called "Professional Overrun". I own a 4500C and love it. Of course it is all in the adjustments and learning the skill to use it. But once accomplished, they are very nice reels...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It is used for adjusting the braking action to account for different lure weights only. So I believe the gentleman in the video was doing it "by the book", the Abu Garcia book....Lol
This is what "doing it by the book" buys you... burnt spool shims.
The top shim got so hot that it "burned" the shim behind it as well.
Have gotten a few come in for repair where they burned thru the first shim working on the second.

IMG_0862.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When I was younger I never even knew about the adjustments on the reel to control the spool. I just learned how and when and how much pressure to apply with my thumb.
Same here. Worked good for me until I took up surf casting. Learned pretty quickly why guys use thumb chaps and band-aids...lol

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
When I was a young kid my dad taught me using one of those type of reels. It was all about the thumb action. After a few tangled messes I learned how to do it. Practice makes perfect.

topgun3690

Ensign
This is what "doing it by the book" buys you... burnt spool shims.
The top shim got so hot that it "burned" the shim behind it as well.
Have gotten a few come in for repair where they burned thru the first shim working on the second.

View attachment 332931
I would say that reel was heavily used and was worn out...it did it's job.....nothing lasts forever.....lol